Grit Question

NattiFan

Songster
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Plainfield, CT
Ive been giving my girls as treats, Oranges, watermelon, they've been given worms and grubs that were found in the yard.....and I give them a cup or two a day of scratch grain out in their run so they have something to keep them busy.....well today is the first time I introduced them to grit. I filled one of their little feeders when they were in the brooder and put it in their coop....didn't take them long to start eating it right up...my question is, should I I keep the grit in that smaller feeder available all the time? They do have an inclosed run that they have worn the grass down and is mostly dirt now, but not many rocks or pebbles....so should I keep the grit in that feeder available all the time.....or should I fill that feeder once a week??

Thanks

I like to offer grit and oyster shells free choice in a dish for the birds to peck thru whenever they get a hankering.

Their gizzards need the grit to grind their food, and different birds will need to replenish their grit more often than others.

I agree with HorseFeatherz. In a pen situation I would offer grit and oyster shell free choice, all the time.
I free range, so I don't offer grit, but I do keep them supplied with oyster shell.

Quote:
Thanks for your input. Mine don't get much free range time.....mostly in the pen. I try to get them out a half hour a night....longer on the weekend....but they mostly stay in the grass and don't make their way to the gravel driveway...

Yes, 11 weeks old is too young for oyster shell. I would start it in the 18 week range, sooner if you start getting eggs. They'll take it if they need it, leave it alone if they don't.

Quote:
Is 11 weeks too young for oyster shell?

I do not think it is too young, but everyone is different - the chicks might pick thru it and eat some, it cannot hurt them. Mine is in the coop and I have day olds to 2 year olds out there. I just like to make sure if they would want some, it is there. I am never sure just when their bodies start craving calcium.

Even my roosters and cockerel will eat some oyster shell every once in a while - but the feed I feed has little calcium in it (not like layer feed).

Back
Top Bottom