grit vs oyster shell

Oyster shell doesn't really act as grit. It's just kind of flat and sharp, and I am sure it is helping, but it won't chop up everything they have in their crop.

yes, playbox sand will work, but they might just want to take dust baths in it
wink.png

Quote:
Sand will not hold up as long as granite, but if that is all you can get I would let them have access to it. Grit is cheap if you find somewhere that has 50 lb bag, I think I paid 6.50 for 50 lbs, TSC sells chick grit for 5.99 for a 5lb bag. MPC sells grit for $$ and you have to pay shipping on that.

The chick grit is too small for grown chickens, I have read that it passes right through without doing what it is supposed to do. Grind up food in the crop. The crushed granite is grey while the chick grit is tinted red.

Quote:
If you get chick grit in the 50 lb bag it is grey too. I think they only tint in the little bags, hey for the price difference they have to do something to it, whats a little red dye gonna do to the chicks??

I have never put out grit. This could explain the HUGE holes in the run. Are they eating the dirt? I need to fill it all in or they will be clear to China by spring!

Also, will the oyster shell be bad for roo?

I went to my local feed store. They had oyster shell and granite grit (no shortage of granite in Vermont). I was surprised at how large the grit was, that was labeled "developer." The chunks were, maybe the size of dried kidney beans or lima beans - but jaggedy!

I asked the store staff (the one who is a chicken person) and she was skeptical of the size, too. To be safe, I bought the chick grit, which is like the size of the largest grains in my tube sand. It seemed to me like there should be some size in between these two.

How big is adult chicken grit supposed to be?!
Thanks for any help.

I have plenty of crush and run around the yard and use some in the pen to fill wet spots when it rains. There is plenty of small grit in there, I also have a kitty litter pan filled with sand for them to play in. If ya live close to quarry they might let ya take out a 5 gallon bucket for cheap or free. Any clean fine gravel should work. I also put sand in the bottoms of my parrots feed cups, if they need grit they can easily dig down to get it.

Back
Top Bottom