grit vs oyster shell

Quote:
From what I've read...chickens seem to know when they need extra calcium. So I'm pretty sure if they don't need it they will just eat around it. I don't think adding it to their food will hurt them it is just not suggested. Don't worry I'm sure someone with more exprience will reply

Miss Jay's mama is right too. They will just eat around it, if they don't need it. They also know how much grit they need. Everything should be fine.

Whew! I actually did pick up a layers feed, so hopefully they'll pick around it. Now then, should I mix in grit too, or sprinkle it haphazardly around the coop and run? Or is all of that overkill?

You can just sprinkle the grit on the ground. They love scratching and they know where to find the grit when they need it. And really, don't worry. Mine get oyster shell on the ground occasionally with their grit and they ignore it totally unless they need it.

Grit is usually crushed granite. Oyster shell, well oyster shell(calcium). There are a couple of feed stores here that say they cant get granite anymore and try to sell oyster shell as grit. I told them I couldnt believe we were running out of rock to crush
lol.png
hmm.png
big_smile.png
sad.png

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the grown chickens can eat whatever size of grit. Because they eat sand and girf from the ground outside when free ranging. So, I am pretty sure that they will just eat more of it, if they need it. My chicks get the regular stuff now and they just ignore the pieces that are too big.

Back
Top Bottom