grit? what is it?

BikerBabeRules

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Vermont, USA
Do I just ask for a bag of grit at the feedstore for my birds?
Currently the get layer pellets, cracked corn, scratch, black sunflower seeds and wild bird food, cat food and table scraps, as well as egg shells and bread; all these on a daily basis. I've not heard of grit until reading it on a post here and would like to know if they need it.
Thanks!
hmm.png

Grit is something chickens need since they don't have teeth! It's not necessary if all they are eating is their layer pellets or crumbles or starter/grower feed. They will get plenty of it naturally if they free range. It's like small sand/rocks. Chicken grit is larger than parakeet grit. I can get both at WalMart here in Mississippi. Cat food isn't particularly healthy for chickens in the long run, and bread makes their poop runny. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, though fattening, are loaded with protein and a pretty healthy treat. Treats should be given in moderation for optimal growth and egg laying. The best diet for a chicken is their complete well-balanced chicken feed. Corn and scratch are best fed when the temps are freezing or below at roost time because they warm up a chicken so they're not good to feed during warmer and hot times of the year. Hope this helped!
smile.png

wow, that totally helps! Cat food is a treat I read is good in protein. I give it to the peafowl as well for the same reason. So as long as they free range all day (when weather permits) layer pellets is enough? That'll certainly cut way down on the feed bill. No wonder my chickens are so darn fat. Some of my chickens see me coming and run to me and bite at my hands. I guess they just know I'm the food lady. I know my chickens know me, and do have some sort of memory from day to day regardless of what people say. They must!!
I'll wean them gradually so they don't go into withdrawal to bad, and stick to layer pellets and corn when it's cold out and just at night feeding.

I think grit is made from crushed granite,comes in three sizes
small-chick
medium-grower
large-layer
I keep some out all the time for them,some of my friends give it to them once a week with their food.If they free range they will pick up small stones and gravel to do the same thing. will

Grit is just sand, I use what is considered contrators grade sand, it is more coarse that play sand. If they are free range they really do not need it because they pick up the dirts and small pebbles from the ground.

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom