Grit?

Try and separate aside in a small container but not something they can knock over.Or just mix with the food every other two weeks.Their probably gonna eat it crazy when it’s raw anyway,not cause they even think they need it,just because it looks interesting,mine did this.

Are you talking about for chicks or for adults? Depending on where you are, there may be enough grit in your soil. If you have chicks, and there is grit in your soil (small pebbles of varying size) they may be just fine if you put a plug of sod from an untreated lawn) in the brooder. Flip it upside down and they will pick it apart.

If you put your general location in your profile, it will help folks to give appropriate information.

As you know, chickens don’t have teeth. But they eat whole stuff, like worms, big pieces of corn, entire mice, in my case, and other big things. The grit is stored in the gizzard and the food passes thru it and is ground up so it can be digested. Without grit, they can get impacted crop. Some feeds have grit mixed in, but supplementing it on the side is important.

Sure is. Grit is held in the gizzard and it grinds their food like your teeth do when you chew. Without it, crops get impacted and or sour. This can be life threatening to the chicken.
I have a chick feeder with the grit in it, and every couple of weeks I just toss some around the run. They will know when they need it.

Back
Top Bottom