Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Trakr, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Trakr

Trakr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2009
    I've been reading about when to give chics grit and noticed how some refer to the size of some grit being "small as sand", so I wondered why not just give them sand? Thoughts?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you have a source of clean sand I don't see why not. I used parakeet grit for my chicks first grit.

3. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Sand is silica and good grit is decomposed granite. Chick grit is as small as clean sand, but its microscopic edges are sharper and grind food better. Iʻm sure sand will work too, but granite grit is more effective.

4. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Quote:Sorry to hijack this post: does that mean, if I have DG in my run, I do not need to buy any extra (more expensive) chicken grit?

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Just make sure it's size-appropriate. I use coarse sand or tiny pebbles from my creekbed for the little chicks. The size of the grit seems most important, as my chicks pick up tiny grit free-ranging and my full-grown chickens pick up larger stones from the driveway.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    I don't even give grit to my chicks. Medicated chick starter is all they need until you can slowly start mixing henscratch into the chick starter at a few weeks. of course I give them chick treats like bread, egg whites and canned dog feed (Pedigree chopped beef every once in a while. Green, fresh cut grass is a good thing for them too. Only other thing is fresh, clean water.

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I think some people do use sand, but you have to make sure it's the right kind. I live near the gulf coast, but beach sand would be very bad because of the salt. I just feel more comfortable using Parakeet or Chick grit because I know its the right thing, and I won't accidentally hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by