Grit

Lindsaymatkin

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2021
Hi ive always had chickens and always offer them oyster grit. I'm new to ducks and geese and now have both can they have the same oyster grit I give the chickens or do they have to have a different kind. Many thanks Lindsay x

Grit is grit, I see no problems. Oyster shells serve a dual purpose. Provide calcium, and work as grit. The oyster shells don't last as long inside gizzard, compared to small stone grit, but still do a fine job. The chickens, and ducks do know what to pick up on their own. They are smart in those ways.
I am assuming the Ouster Shells, are free-choice. (in a container somewhere inside run) Spread out on the ground works also, but much of it gets lost that way, (mixes with ground)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Grit is grit, I see no problems. Oyster shells serve a dual purpose. Provide calcium, and work as grit. The oyster shells don't last as long inside gizzard, compared to small stone grit, but still do a fine job. The chickens, and ducks do know what to pick up on their own. They are smart in those ways.
I am assuming the Ouster Shells, are free-choice. (in a container somewhere inside run) Spread out on the ground works also, but much of it gets lost that way, (mixes with ground)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
OK thank you x

I'm not so sure grit is grit. I think they need oyster shell for calcium and grit for grinding. If all they have for grit is oyster shell, they might get too much calcium in their diet.. depending on how much calcium they need (layers or not or mixed flock) and how much they get from other parts of their diet.

I planned to give mine dirt as a grit source. I had more trouble with that than I expected. I grew up on sandy soil and didn't realize the dirt in our place doesn't have any grit sized stone. Even the sand on our place doesn't. Odd. Eventually, I brought some home from a visit to the farm I grew up on.

I'd offer oyster shell (free choice) for the calcium and true grit (also free choice, usually crushed granite) to help their gizzards grind the food up. Oyster shell is soluble grit, so it will dissolve eventually; granite grit is insoluble and more effective for the digestive process. Offer both and you'll have both bases covered. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom