Grit

blake101

Songster
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
North, MS
I have a 12lb feeder for my babies that are 12weeks old, instead of having a separate bowl for grit can i just mix it with there feed? If so how much do i mix? They do free range a few hours a day.

Last edited:
Grit is for things they eat that are NOT commercial feed. If they were fed only commercial feed, they wouldn't need grit. So don't mix it with the feed, but offer it in a separate dish.... if they don't have access to the ground in a run where there are little bits of gravel, rocks, etc. for them to USE as grit.

I have always offered it in a separate feeder, free choice. Then they can take it as they need it. I would imagine (
roll.png
) too much grit might not be a good thing, but also that you may be wasting it. The birds know what they need. Put out a small bowl, if you don't want to invest in a feeder.

As per a suggestion from another BYC member (sorry, can't remember who), I nailed an empty, clean cat food can to the wall by the feeder to hold the grit. Works great! As soon as my birds start laying, I'll add another for oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom