1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3nglishteacher, Apr 13, 2008.

1. 3nglishteacher

3nglishteacher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    My 7 week olds have been on starter feed exclusively till this week when I started letting them out for a bit of free ranging. I also started giving them kitchen scraps - which they love - so I also set out a small dish of fine sand for them - which they gobbled up. Is that okay for grit? I'm still a bit fuzzy on this whole crop/grit thing but definitely know I don't want impacted crops &/or dead chicks b/c of my stupidity.

Thanks,
    Karen

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    You can get chick grit or regular grit at a feed store. Sand might be too fine.

3. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    is grit really necessary?

4. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

As I understand from learning here and through a few books, if you feed anything other than chick starter, grit is necessary. A chicken can't chew it's food, it grinds it up in its crop with the aid of grit. If it isn't ground up, it becomes impacted and the chicken can die.

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I always have grit available, but if they are out on the ground, they can pick up bits of sand, small rocks, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by