grit

katiekuj

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
If you let I chicks roam out in the grass and near my children's sandbox - do I still need to provide commercial grit along with their food - or are they getting what they need from the yard?

I just started giving mine child play sand as grit. And they love it. Mine are 5-6 weeks old. Someone on BYC told me that grit is as important as food and water and they should have access to it 24/7.

If they are ranging on soil that has sand and small stones in it; they will pick up what they need. If there isn't sand and pebbles in their environment then you need to supply it. Full grown chickens need access to larger stones, not just sand.

Imp

Could I just toss a couple handfulls of sand in the coop every once in a while?

At what age should they have access to this?

Quote:
Probably needs to be more than every once in a while, and if they are grown, it needs to be more than sand. Maybe up to the size of pea gravel.

There's a picture here, but be warned this thread is graphic pictures of processing meat birds. About half way down the first post.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109583

They will need grit as soon as they are eating treats or anything other than chick starter.

Imp

Even as week old babies, they need more than a handful or two of sand. Play sand or contractor sand does more than provide grit. Chickens dust bathe from day one and sand provides prebiotics, which helps prevent pasty butt.

can I just put a plate of sand in their brooder and replenish as needed?

Quote:
That'll work, might want to use a container with sides though.

Imp

Thanks for your help. Moreso, my birds thank you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom