grit?

If part of the run is small gravel over dirt does that provide adequate grit or should there be a supplement?
It probably does. Here's references.

Here's a pix of chick grit
200x200px-ZC-edd87702_15498_img_0262.jpeg

Here's a pix from butchering (from another BYCer- Frugal)
Grit he found in the gizzard:

gizzard04.jpg

Imp

Ok, so...I have grit... now how much and how do I give it to them? The feed store sells 50 lb bags of grit, or by the lb...I just bought a couple lbs to start but it seems like whenever I put in in their run they scarf it right up! (FYI - their run is brand new...still nice and grassy, has dirt and rocks, etc so they should be able to still get grit from that) Right now I have just been filling the top of an old washed out cottage cheese container but the grit disappears fast and I was wondering if I should actually have a larger amount in there at all times? Also, does anyone just sprinkle it all over the ground in the run and make them work a little for it?! Haha, just curious what everyone else is doing...it seems to be more of a pain then it's worth at the moment so I will probably switch to a larger container so I don't have to find the container top every day and re-fill it so often.

I have a feeling that most of your grit is going on the ground, I would use something with a higher side so it doesn't spill out. I use a tuna can, and it stays full for quite a long time. They will stop when they have enough.

Back
Top Bottom