GRITSAR'S Rooster Reform System Works!!!

Skyfires, when you say he's picking on the girls more I assume you mean hens?
I would think this is normal for a few days after he's been knocked down off the top of the totem pole. He has to establish himself a new place in the pecking order; which will be below you, but above the hens.

That was great. I learned alot from the roo page. I cant wait for our chicks to get here. I didnt order any roo's. I am kinda hoping that Ideal sends one or two for warmth. I orderd 20 chicks.

He started picking on me,,,and the girls,,,then the girls all the time!!! Pecking in the eye,,,pullin feathers and drawin blood,,, in fact,,,,he hit one of the hens so hard right in the back of the head,,, she hit the ground face first and just laid there not moving for a few seconds,,,he did this because she was eating in a line with the rest of the flock at the feeder. She staggered off and sat by a tree. I went to check her out and she had a hard time getting to her feet. So, I grabbed him up and put him in the new holding cage. The hen is better this morning,,, but she will not feed at the feeder,,,even with my Roo in storage. I had to feed her by hand to get her to eat. This is what is happening to my little flock because of his bully nature. I'm starting to think this guy is just one of those 'mean' Roo's,,, boy I hope not,,,I so love this guy,,,when he is sweet,,,he's so sweet,,,, but when he gets mean,,,look out,,,,
D.gif
D.gif
th.gif

Yes gritsar,,,,my hens are my 'girls',,,, now they are starting to run when I go in the henhouse or run too,,, they act like I'm going to be mean to them,,, if I sit in there awhile,,,they start to come around,,, unlike before when they heard my voice they came runnin,,,gathering around my feet so bad I couldn't walk sometimes,,,,now they act scared,,,,I think the Roo is this problem. Manly because they started staying out of the hen house last week. I would go out there and the only chicken in the house to greet me was the Roo. They always ran to the house when they were scared or grooming,,,now the hang around outside the door,,,and look through the house,,, yeah,,, I hope they learn their house is 'safe' again. I even have a problem putting them to bed now,,,they don't want to go in that house they used to love so much.
D.gif
hu.gif

skyfires, some roos just are going to be mean no matter what you do. Sounds like you are handling the situation best you can.
I sure hope your girls come back around.

Well,,,,my husband and I decided the Roo must go. Seems someone at his work is looking for a Sultan Roo, to go with his flock of girls. Well,,, he leaves on Monday. This is tough on me. But I can't have him here,,beating up my girls. So maybe he'll be happier with a new flock. If not, then this guy will take care of him. Wish Sultan luck,,,,he is getting a second chance,,,,and it is better than what he would get here at this point. I would never turn him out with my girls again. They are doing so much better without him. They even started going back in their house last night, and greeted me at the door this morning for breakfast.
clap.gif
clap.gif
Thank you everyone for all the tips. Gritsar,,,you are at the top of that list,,and we can only hope his 'training' follows him to his new home,,,,
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Skyfires, sorry it had to come to that but at least he's going to a good home.
Some roos respond well to reform, others don't. Life is too short to have to deal with trouble every day!
Have an awesome weekend!

Back
Top Bottom