Gritty urates inside vent/cloaca - anyone experienced this?

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

I just got back from the vet for one of my sick chooks and they said that she had (suspected) urates that had solidified/crystallized stuck inside her cloaca/vent. I have never heard of this happening before, do any of you have any experience with this? The vet report is below. They suspect that they did not get it all out, what would be the best way to approach this? She has been put on antibiotics and anti inflammatories.

Admitted: GA for vent exam +/- radiographs
DM and KT re-examined bird. Small coelomic mass palpable yesterday no longer palpable any more. Digital examination of vent - gritty urate-like material present, adherent to cloacal lining. Removed a few fingerfuls, but cloacal lining fragile so stopped.
A: Suspect that gritty material is more likely urates, other main ddx is collapsed egg material but doesn't feel sufficiently firm. Blood taken for uric acid level (pending).
Lavaged vent with 60ml saline, then instilled EMLA cream.
Home on noroclav and mobic tablets.
DM 1.00pm UA 195, so fine to go home.
Drugs Dispensed
1 of Meloxicam Dog Oral 10ml - GIve 0.33ml by mouth twice daily for 5 days. Shake well before use 1.5mg/ml meloxicam 10 of Amoxyclav 200mg Tablets - Give half a tablet twice daily until finished. 200mg amoxycillin/clavulanic acid CAUTION: This product is penicillin based. DO NOT CONSUME EGGS FOR AT LEAST ONE MONTH AFTER MEDICATION HAS STOPPED

Back
Top Bottom