Grizzly roos /Fly fishing/ breeding reference

Quote:
Actually the cross for Crele (Creol) are not that different. Except Grizzly breeds true and Creol is one of many variations of Grizzly. I can't recall the other half of the cross right off hte top of my head and I am to comfortable to go look it up. but just as an example breed grizzly and Dun (blue) (I don't think Dun is correct) then bred the offspring back to each other. it is in this second generation that many variations of grizzly will be thrown in which Creol is just one of. you end up with a lot of chicks with not so usable patterns as well. this is where many of the other colors of Grizzly come from as well and Creol is one of the more valuable patterns for fly tyers. mainly because it is very inefficient to produce. It does not breed true either.

Quote:
Keep in mind that if you do not keep up the selection pressure that caused these genetics int he first place, they will revert back to the norm, and very quickly. keep in mind that the selection that produced these was something along the line of 1 out of every 1000 males are chosen and only one out of every 100 females or so. You can get a really fancy looking rooster, but you will not necessarily be able to pass a lot of it on to your flock. These birds are always pushed very hard to remain extreme.

Where are you in relation to Woodland, Washington? I worked for a rod manufacturer in Woodland for twenty three years.
Let me know if you think of what post the fly tiers are now using.

Jack Montague

Where are you in relation to Woodland, Washington? I worked for a rod manufacturer in Woodland for twenty three years.
Let me know if you think of what post the fly tiers are now using.

Jack Montague
According to google maps, I am about 6 hours away. I am about 45 minutes north of Spokane, Washington, way over on the east side touching Idaho.

Here is the thread that is a little more active as far as posts go:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ka-fly-tying-chickens-info-for-the-interested

Keep in mind that if you do not keep up the selection pressure that caused these genetics int he first place, they will revert back to the norm, and very quickly. keep in mind that the selection that produced these was something along the line of 1 out of every 1000 males are chosen and only one out of every 100 females or so. You can get a really fancy looking rooster, but you will not necessarily be able to pass a lot of it on to your flock. These birds are always pushed very hard to remain extreme.

I think this is something of a misnomer... After many generations of breeding/back crossing, genetics for specific traits can be bottlenecked very well.
You can get the same 'phenotypes' to express reliably, hence the extremely close guarded nature of some of these lines.
This only happens if the breeding is done to bottleneck though. Through many F generations.
I think you are almost definitely right about the huge selection numbers for the breeding.

In nature the ability to survive is a complex feat made up of many traits decided by the changing environment, so yes the theory applies to something like keeping genetics 'wild' for say birds or fish for release, which is why hatcheries go out to fisheries and gather wild steelhead eggs rather than take the responsibility for the selection process.

Last edited:
I spent 23 years working for Gary Loomis, mostly as his rep for the SE states, earlier on doing casting demos and helping design/test rod actions.

Very cool. I wish it were easier to find good affordable american rods these days. It seems like most of the stuff comes from China now.

I would love to get some eggs that will produce chickens with long hackle yet I can't find anyone willing to sell them. Does anyone know where I can find them.

Back
Top Bottom