Grocery store fertile eggs now under my hen!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kristenm1975, May 7, 2009.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Well, I did it. Last night when it was nice and dark, I took the room-temp store bought eggs (Rock Island from CA) and tucked them all under the hen. She was NOT a happy gir, but she had no eggs under her and had been setting for three days.

She initially got fed up with my stuffing things under her and got off the nest, but I left the eggs in there and just hoped she would get over her pique and hop back on, which she did.

Previously, she would get off the nest at least once briefly in the morning when I put out the food, but today she didn't move at all. I'm thinking I'm going to need to put food and water in her nest so she can get some nourishment.

Do you think I need to do that or should I just let her take care of herself? The nest box isn't big and I don't think there's room for a water bowl.

This is my first time getting a broody to sit on eggs so I'm not sure how to do it. Any tips will be helpful. Thank you!

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    SOmeone that has broodies will answer soon im shure. I would say can you get a couple other eggs so she dosnt get anything out of it if the store eggs dont pan out.

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    DO NOT PUT FOOD AND WATER IN THE NEST. BAD IDEA.

She needs to get off the nest and move around for awhile everyday, and, if you don't want her to associate nest w/food, the hazards of which are possible egg eating, or even cannibalizing the chicks, I wouldn't feed her there. Also, she needs to get out of the nest to poop, or you'll have a nest full of poop covered eggs. Not a good idea for you, the hen, or the chicks. Broody poops are huge and smelly, BTW.

If she doesn't get off the nest on her own, take her off once a day, and place her in front of the food and water. I had one that didn't want to leave the eggs, but after I did that twice, she was fine, and has done it on her own since then.

4. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    A hen will not starve herself to death she will get up and move around when she thinks it is time to do, so best thing to do is leave her alone and keep water and feed near by but not at the nest i have some hens that will not move for 5 or 6 days at a time but when they do get up they run around eat and drink and poop and lots of it

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Um how can you tell that the grocery store eggs are fertile?

6. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    yeah, were they sold as fertile eggs or by accident??I am confuse which doesn't take much

7. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Plus, even if they are fertile...that cold can mess them up pretty bad..if not kill them!

8. dancingbear

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    People have hatched a lot of eggs after they've been refrigerated. The hatch rate is a little lower, but not much. As long as they didn't freeze, they're usually ok.

9. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I'm curious about the fertile grocery store eggs too.

10. dancingbear

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Some eggs are sold as fertile eggs. They are supposed to be better for you, but how, I couldn't tell ya. many health food stores, and some natural food sections in grocery store, or specialty stores such as Trader Joe's. These are not run of the mill supermarket eggs from battery cage hens. Those are not fertile.

Sometimes store eggs sold as cage-free, or free range, will be fertile. If the suppliers has roos with the hens, they certainly can be. But they aren't guaranteed to be fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by