GROSS!! Dog problem!***

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BeccaB00, Dec 1, 2010.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Ok. My dog has an EXTREMELY gross problem...shes EATS cat poo. Not just 'whenever she finds it' she goes LOOKING for it! I can hardly let the poor girl out of the house cause she goes straight under our trampoline (our cats 'potty erea' [​IMG] ) and munches away..it would be totally different if she responded to me when I say 'no!' but she knows it's hard for me to move quickly when I'm under the trompoline and therefore does not listen to me. And if I try to go under there and grab her she runs, and doesn't come back. And I don't think basically chasing her off is going to fix the problem. Our cats go under our trampoline because theres sand under there, and my dog goes and digs it out of the sand. [​IMG] I need some answers. Shes well fed. So she does not 'need' to eat it. shes extremely stubborn.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

cat poop is rich, lots of dogs like it
    many of them eat chicken poop too, and it hasn't hurt them yet, just don't go kissing your dog....

we got our cats a covered box indoors, it keeps the dog out fairly well

3. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Yea she eats chicken poop and chicken feed to. almost anything really [​IMG] I can definatly go with-out kissing her, but I have a 7 year old little brother who enjoys getting in their faces. And ofcoarse that leads to getting licked in the face. [​IMG]

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I keep being told by my mutts that cat poo is a delicacy. [​IMG] I still haven't agreed with that assessment yet. [​IMG] I also doubt that the dog's slobber will hurt the 7 year old. It is gross, but then 7 year boys can often be gross.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:He's just building up his natural immunity to toxoplasmosis which might come in handy when he grows up and his pregnant wife makes him change the litterbox [​IMG]

Other than fencing the dog out of that area, I'm not sure you can do anything to prevent her from getting to it [​IMG]

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    He is missing something in his diet... there is somethng you can feed him to stop that habit..consult a vet... I believe it is papaya.. but I could be wrong..

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to have a dog who would eat her own poop. Emphasis on 'used to'. Dog had other problems that finally made her intolerable. Anyways, I asked my vet about it and he gave me a package of powder to mix into her food. It only took a couple days and she was broken from that habit. The vet told me if she was eating cat poop to sprinkle the powder on the cat's food and it would stop it. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but your vet would likely know. It works too.

8. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] ahh I love the kid, but yea, he CAN be gross. I'll admit, I do overreact about it. He'll be all in the dog's faces, or playing with a dog slobber covered toy, I'll yell and freak out and tell him Bridgit (my dog) has been eating cat poo, Then he'll act like he's grossed out and stop playing with it, or get out of their faces...then 5 mins later he's doing it again [​IMG]
    I did hear somthing about papaya making helping that, I;ve also heard that pineapple makes the poo taste bad, and they wont eat it..But I have been looking for weeks a good diet for my dogs. maybe that's a sign the food they're on isn't good for them? idk I'm kinda off about the kitty poop she ate this morning [​IMG]

9. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Almost all dogs love cat feces.

With regard to her not coming when you call, stop GIVING her that opportunity. Put a drag line on her when you let her out. Don't call her until the end of the line is in your hand. Reward her each time she comes to you, whether you help her with the line or not.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's not papaya, it's fresh pineapple you feed them. I'm currently trying cayenne on the poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by