1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gross!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swimmom, Nov 4, 2009.

1. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    OK, so I knew from reading posts here it was probable that at some point, my 23 week old Red Sex Link would lay a shell-less egg, but boy do I wish I had thought to bring a flashlight to the coop yesterday afternoon. Joy was in the nesting box at 4 pm when I left to run errands, and so I blithely went straight to the coop when I got home (it was dark by then) and lifted the lid. I could see a shadowy outline of an egg and reached in to pick it up. Ack! [​IMG] It was a dreaded shell-less egg, all cold and rubbery.

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Speaking of gross, lol, when I process my birds, we just eat the shelless ones with smoked sausage......but, it'd be different reaching your hand into the nesting box to find one:lol:

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I too often collect eggs in the dark. I'm more afraid that a snake will eventually find us! So far no trouble, but eeeep!

4. NC Chicken Gal

NC Chicken Gal Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    *Note to self - NEVER collect eggs in the dark*

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Been there, done that. And man those hens were quick to jump off the roost and scarf that egg up. [​IMG]

6. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    I always bring a flashlight when I collect eggs. I even have a nifty headlamp that works great too.

7. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    Aha, Kanga good idea. To do list - "borrow" son's headlamp. "Why, no son, I have no idea where you put your headlamp." [​IMG]

8. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    LOL love your post, swimmom! I also use a flashlight and have recently started getting eggs... but I never got any shelless eggs... it was wierd bcause I was expecting one... guess I got lucky! LOL!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Oh boy, something else to look forward to when mine start laying...lol

10. Hippie Chick in PA

Hippie Chick in PA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    I use to not use a flashlight to lock up the chickens and or collect eggs. Until one night I went to lock the chickens up, lifted the lid to the nesting box and a pair of beedy eyes were staring at me. To my surprise it was a opossum. Lesson learned do not put your hands in the nesting box with out using a flash light.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by