Ground corn cob for bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blondebarnbabe, Nov 1, 2011.

1. blondebarnbabe

blondebarnbabe Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    New London, WI
    Hello All~ have any of you ever used ground corn cob for bedding? I used to raise pigeons as a youth and that's what I used for my loft; I have tried it with the chickens and so far it is great.... but I was wondering (albeit a bit too late) if there is any draw back to using this material as opposed to say, shavings.

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Sounds like a great bedding to me. And if you can get it cheap, Then that makes it even better.
    Jack

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Back in the 50's and 60's, that is what we used. Corn was "picked" in those days. Today, the cobs are left in the field, as the harvester shells the corn.
    I would truly love to still use the ground cob, but they are rare as hen's teeth and pricey now to boot.

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I used ground corn cob in my brooder for a short period of time...you know how babies are...spilled water, etc. The corn cob did not stay dry enough for my liking, and it smelled when it got wet, and it absorbed water, and became packed solid in the waterer. I switched to sand....I can sift out the poo, and the little ones don't seem to be as keen on kicking it into their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by