Ground Covering for Outdoor Run?

So start with a good layer of pine shavings and follow with hay? My husband uses a lawn tractor to mow and the clippings aren't collected so that's out. What else could I put in? We don't have a garden so that's out, or is pine and hay enough?...

During the winter when no grass clippings are available, we use hay and straw. Also (in the fall) leaves and pine needles are good.

My husband cuts our grass with a tractor as well but uses a lawn seeper to pick up the clippings. It's towed behind a tractor and sweeps up the clipping for the chickens. It was my dad's, many years old, so I don't know if they're even available. We use it for leaves too. Maybe you could rake a small amount of clippings at a time to add for variety.

I think dry materials is key...and a mix of materials.
Too much of any one thing can become a sodden mess of anaerobic nastiness.
Even a small amount of dry plant matter can reduce odors quickly.
But it's not a throw it in and forget about it, must be watched and added to.
The chickens will 'turn it' for you.

In my starting mix shown below all the smaller stuff has degraded,
leaving only the larger wood...so I add other stuff on occasion.
All this might not apply to your small run.....
...smaller spaces are harder to maintain IMO.

I have a large walk in run and never 'clean' poops from the run,
and there is rarely any nasty odors.
The bedding of a good mix of dry plant materials use facilitates this nicely, it's basically no maintenance other than adding more material from time to time. I was able to start with a big load of tree trimmings from the power company that had been aged(6 months). I collect dry leaves in the fall (stored in feed bags in a shed) and add them occasionally, and other garden trimmings. I let my grass grow tall, mow and spread it out with discharge pattern, leave it to dry a few days, then push it into rows with the mower discharge, rake it up and add to run.
1027378-7d69f343da1530b0f9ac6a90cfaeef44.jpg

1027013-716dea6c90c51aea25d833ed52eba7b7.jpg

Adding dry isn't a problem...keeping it dry is a major issue. Right now I'm brainstorming ways to divert water around the run. I did look into the french drain, but my husband is DONE investing more money, so the financials fall on me now. Money's tight with me so I need low cost with high effectiveness.

How about trenching around it, at least on the upward sloping side, to divert rainwater? And keep raising the level of the ground (mulch, bedding) inside the run, so it's higher than the surrounding area. Mary
That's one option I've looked into. Someone recommended using landscape edging in an arc around the front and sides to divert run-off. I've thought about landscaping the predator skirting so that might also be an option. Or a combination of both.

That's one option I've looked into. Someone recommended using landscape edging in an arc around the front and sides to divert run-off. I've thought about landscaping the predator skirting so that might also be an option. Or a combination of both.
That might work if you can get the lower edge buried a good few inches and have enough sticking up out of the ground to catch the water and direct it around coop/run.

Tho digging a trench would be easier to install and easier to mow IMO.
I have a drainage trench running thru part of my yard,
I put the mower wheels right in the trench and mow the sides real short.
It's about 8" wide and 4-6" deep.

I'd keep any landscaping off the anti-dig skirt or you may defeat it's purpose,
just let the grass grow up thru the skirt mesh, should be able to mow right over it.

Was looking for pics of your setup, I know you've posted a bunch but they must not be in a gallery/album cause I can't find them. (hates the new pic management!)

I just pile in wood shavings, and dried leaves. Living in south Spain, grass doesn't grow here so clippings are out for me. But dried leaves are free and wood shavings are pretty cheap and very absorbent. I have my feeders and waterers on the ground - no problem at all except they scratch the litter into it! And of course you have to move them around when you rake over the litter. This link gives good advice about DLM. http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com.es/p/deep-litter-method.html

That might work if you can get the lower edge buried a good few inches and have enough sticking up out of the ground to catch the water and direct it around coop/run.

Tho digging a trench would be easier to install and easier to mow IMO.
I have a drainage trench running thru part of my yard,
I put the mower wheels right in the trench and mow the sides real short.
It's about 8" wide and 4-6" deep.

I'd keep any landscaping off the anti-dig skirt or you may defeat it's purpose,
just let the grass grow up thru the skirt mesh, should be able to mow right over it.

Was looking for pics of your setup, I know you've posted a bunch but they must not be in a gallery/album cause I can't find them. (hates the new pic management!)
I've posted them in so many places that I don't even remember where.
IMG_20170724_124233.jpg
IMG_20170724_124148.jpg
IMG_20170724_124135.jpg

From front facing, the majority of flooding happens in back left/center, but of course, it all becomes a sopping mess. I'm considering another umpteen pounds of construction sand or pea gravel ground cover, built up at the back as a starting point. ?

Seriously, I wouldn't bother trenching or anything. I live in wetlands. A stream runs through my property. I am down the slope from the opposite property. I have standing water, vernal pools just yards from my coop much of the year. When I dug holes 2 feet deep to install fence posts the bottom of the holes filled with water because the water table is so high.

Why am I telling you this? Because 2 years ago I was thinking that I would need to dig a trench or regrade my yard or something drastic to deal with my drainage issue. But I didn't. I started DLM right over the top of my mucky, saturated, stinky failed attempt at sand and, 2 years later, the litter is doing fantastic.

Install some boards along the inside of your run to keep the litter in and just dump stuff on top. Go at least 6 inches deep with wood chips from tree trimming as a base and then another 4 inches or so of whatever stuff you can get your hands on.

Back
Top Bottom