Ground fault outlet bad bad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greathorse, Jan 19, 2010.

1. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I moved my incubator to the basement and of course all of the outlets down there are Ground fault outlets. I know that these can be faulty sometimes because I cant figure out why one would pop with a sportsman incubator on it.

It was running this morning but must have been off for some time because the inside temp on the bator is the same as the room about 60 degrees.

I will keep them in to see what happens but I have staggered hatches. Which are most likely to be affected the early ones or the later ones? Bummer I had some wyandottes in there that I have high hopes for

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    That happened to me when the outside Christmas lights got wet and tripped the GFCI outlets. The incubator was upstairs in the laundry room without power for 5 and a half hours. I had a decent hatch but not good. Good luck to you.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. [​IMG]

4. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    All but one of the Wyandottes hatched, the Marans did not, there was only two of them and I was not sure they were viable when they went in. They were dark and I couldnt see them. Now I only need to figure out which ones are the silvers and which are the silver roo over the BLR.

I can see some difference in them but not sure which is which.

I did not separate the eggs as I assumed I could tell the differnce, hoping I wont need to wait until they grow out.

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Anything having to do with water can make a GFI trip. Doesn't necessarily mean the outlet is bad, but we have found that they get more sensitive over time if they keep tripping, and you keep resetting them. So... An incubator uses water, though obviously not directly related to the electricity part, there are ways for that dampness to wiggle it's way in there and trip the GFI. (Same thing goes for christmas lights out side)... I'm not just talking to see myself type [​IMG] We own an electrical contracting company, and DH has been in this his whole life (his parents also own their own business...) Just so you know I'm for real here [​IMG]

6. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I plugged it into a light socket with one of those socket thingys in it for now. I do not trust that GFI one bit now. I am going to replace that one outlet with a non GFI, I am sure it will not be code but that was a bummer. I am shocked that I had as good a hatch as I did. This was the most mature of all of the eggs, there are staggered hatches in the bator, I am anxious to see if the less mature eggs will be more affected than the ones that just hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by