ground maintenance in a chicken run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by northcolors, Dec 22, 2014.

1. northcolors

northcolors Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips for maintaining the ground in our run? We have 6 chickens that spend time in the run. Ive raked it out at times and put shavings or hay down, it has a dirt floor. The temperature here now is about 35 degrees average and the ground often seems damp. We have rain and snow. The chickens frequently get soiled feet from the run ground despite the maintenance Ive done. Any ideas?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Make sure that the drainage is good, and add shavings as needed. Covering the run is best, but mine isn't either (YET!) so the footing does get damp, and snow covered. Not ideal, but hasn't really been a problem. We shovel snow and crud out as needed. Mary

3. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Search "deep litter".

I started with 18 inches of free wood chips.

4. northcolors

Sep 5, 2014
    Ok, thanks will do that search. We do have a tarp overhead and bays of hay at the side of their run. Seems thinking about drainage is a good idea. With this weather a damp ground may be inveitable.

5. 11mini

11mini Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Deep litter will not work unless you can keep the run dry

6. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    My run is deep litter with pine straw. I just raked a corner of my yard and added it to the run today. This will last a month or more before i need to add more.

7. northcolors

Sep 5, 2014
    We also put a glass storm door over the top that helps the sun dry it out

8. Mkostos

Mkostos Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Sand, cheap construction sand, I added about 6 inches of sand to my run and no more mud at all. Rain or snow..no mud and the hens love it. Easy to keep clean too..just rake it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I wouldn't put shavings out in the run that's only gonna add to the mess.

10. bantamphienix

bantamphienix Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    This rainy winter has been horrible for all livestock. Sand seems to help the most if your going to be adding stuff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by