Ground squirrel, gophers, and moles

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
We have all the other predators (except weasels
ya.gif
) AND we have lots of ground squirrels, gophers and moles. I've posted on here about the moles and was told that they would tear the heads off of the chickens. I'm wondering if squirrels and gophers would bother them. I was planning on putting up a large run. How deep should I bury wire for these underground tunnelers? I'm going to put wire 24" around the outside for the skunks, coons, coyotes, bobcats, etc...I'm also going to be putting them in at night, but you know, sometimes you don't get home when you planned to.

On a different note, I picked up some awesome dual paned windows that match the house off of CL. The homeowner also had a dumpster so my friend and I dived right in!! We got some GOOD STUFF
wee.gif
!!! Preparing for the chickens is as much as owning them I think!
yippiechickie.gif

Hmmmm...I have never heard of moles bothering chickens. They eat insects and worms so I am not sure they would bother with a chicken. We have all sorts of moles here and I have never had a problem with them hurting my chickens. Now my potatoes and beets are another story!

Moles, gophers, and squirrels are harmless to chickens. I don't know who told you that a mole would tear the heads off a chicken, but that's just false. Moles are way too small and pretty much blind to attempt such a thing, and their diet is primarily earthworms and invertebrates.

The most trouble you'd get from any of those things is in your garden, or perhaps squirrels in your chicken feed.

Burying wire about a foot down and in from the parameter will help deter anything trying to dig under though. You don't need to lay wire all the way under though.

Quote:
I agree. The moles don't bother my chickens. Neither do the squirrels or the armadillos. Unlike all the farmers around here that don't like the dillos for the holes they dig in the pastures, I have a fondness for the slow, dim witted creatures. I won't let my DH shoot our resident dillo, no matter how many times he threatens to.

I actually use to rescue moles if my cats (or dogs) dug one up and was "playing" with it. Our property stays so torn up now due to those little destructive pests that I just walk the other way when I see them with one now. Unless your chickens are dangling worms from their beaks to lure those moles out into the open, I'd say they're safe enough...lol. The critters you mentioned can be pesky and bothersome, but they won't hurt your birds.

I have seen red squirrels steal eggs from sparrows and eat babies. Of course they are much smaller than chicken eggs, etc. I don't put anything past them. Squirrels are pretty crafty and persistent.
I'm sure chicken feed would be their first choice unless they were really starving.

Ground squirrels are not like your typical grey squirrel, they resemble chipmunks. The OP isn't referring to the common bushy-tailed variety.

Cara, thank you I never heard of ground squirrels - chipmunks yes, for 40 years (probably) a million generations of them have been living under our front step. Funny but I've never seen baby ones.

Back
Top Bottom