Ground Wasp Nest

mhegge

Songster
Sep 2, 2015
We found a ground wasp nest in our yard, not in the coop or run, but our flock free ranges all day. We would normally spray the nest with that black can of hornet spray, but can we do that with the chickens?? Please advise...I'm allergic to bees and we have kiddos so we need them gone!

Spray or dump some gas on the nest and cover with a big rock/block/patio paver for a few days.

I use 3-4 gallons of very hot water with lots of dish soap,
best time to dump it down the hole is at dawn when it's the coolest temps....
.....or as late as possible at night if you're not an early riser.
I mark the hole during the day with a very long stick, then I can find it in the dark wearing a headlight.

If you're highly allergic, or just don't want to risk it, and there's no one else to drown the nest.......
.......use the spray and keep the chickens in for a few days or fence off that area.

Thanks! We're going to dump some boiling water with Dawn dish soap in it tonight!

Last edited:
For things I do not want to risk, I use something that is no-fail. In this case I would use about a cup of gas down the hole. Wait 10 seconds and ignight low to the ground using a torch of some sort. Whatever does not get burned will be asphyxiated by the fumes down below.

The only risk other than burning anything is if there is a second entrance. You can actually eliminate the first risk by using a sprinkler around the area. They will think it is just rain.

Back
Top Bottom