Grounding my hens?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Muffin Cheeks, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Muffin Cheeks

Muffin Cheeks New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    I have seven laying hens that used to wait their turn for a favorite nesting box out of the three I provided. Now only two use the box and the rest lay somewhere on the three acres we have. It seems like their bahavior may have changed when the new rooster came to live with them and he is looking for a new home anyway. Should I lock them in the hen house for a day? I have tried that but can't stand to make them stay in there! Also, only one of my hens is showing signs of mites but it might be possible that she is being over bred?

2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

3. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:A new addition can disrupt a layer. Mine got a little wonky when we added a new roo a few months ago. One was even laying in the pasture - out in the open!

Took a few weeks, but they adjusted [​IMG]

Definitely check for mites. It is a good idea to treat the whole flock if one is infected. However, most roos will have a favorite hen and tend to be over zealous with her.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given also make sure use dust the nest box for mites as well. [​IMG]

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] I am having the same problem. Tomorrow I'm leaving them locked up all day. If I get more eggs than I have been, they are going to stay locked up a few days until they remember where their nest boxes are. [​IMG] Good luck!

6. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Make sure you clean nesting boxes very well & put fresh hay in all three. Purchase some ceramic eggs & keep one in each nesting box for a couple of weeks. Also, you might try putting a nesting box with fresh hay outside in a kind-a secluded area - also with a ceramic egg in it to encourge laying there.... move closer & closer gradually back to your coop. Also spread some diatomaceous earth inside your cleaned coop to cut down on parasites-- you can spread it in nesting boxes too, underneath the hay. Good lucK!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Good advice given. Good luck [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. Desert Rooster