Grow bags...Potatoes.. Animals

chickenchicklady

Songster
Apr 23, 2019
Good morning! My husband felt it necessary to order 18 lbs of seed potatoes (not know how many he would get). I’ve already planted 16 grow bags worth, and I have about 17 left to go, however, I’m running out of room on my property to put the bags. If I Put them out in the wooded acres on the outside peremiter of my 6 ft Fence, will animals eat them? Or would it just be best to find somewhere else to put them Inside the fence so I don’t lose the harvest?

In our experience, we had some deer eat the potato tops....which are toxic. After the intial feeding on the plants, the plants rebounded and nothing else ate the plants. The deer was either very sick or died is my guess - they really mowed down the plants initially.

The potato plant produces the potatoes and they grow large during the flowering phase, so it is possible to have some critters dig up the potatoes, but I'm not sure which critter would be most likely to dig or eat the potatoes. We have potatoes in raised beds, and the woods are quite far from our property, but we do have raccoons, opossums, mice, squirrels, coyotes, deer, that we are aware of. Nothing has bothered our underground potatoes yet.

Since you have a lot of potatoes, and not enough space within the fence, then try it out! If you see digging or damage, then move the bags into the fence area.

Good Luck! You should have a good harvest.

Back
Top Bottom