Growing potatoes in sand? And soil prep question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
First thank you very much for reading my question! I appreciate it.

Also if other people have questions I'm happy to try to help.

So my question is about growing potatoes in sand. I saw a youtube video where someone grew and planted potatoes in 100% sand. Like only sand. And it seems to work. I'm curious to ask others if they have done this and how it turned out? Or did you do like half sand and half something else?

Now before you reply I should tell you the reason I'm asking about sand particularly is that I've been gardening for years, and we have this really tough hard clay soil. And the clay soil glues in root vegetables so they can't properly expand and grow out. This has always foiled my attempts at getting good potato harvests. I could get the potatoes to grow but not expand and get enough to make it worth it. It was like using 1 pound of potato and getting maybe 1.5 lbs or 2 pounds, where if you do it right you should get 8 pounds.

So it seems like sand may have something to do with this? I asked a guy one time in my area and he said to do half sand and then half steer manure or compost. But I can't ask that guy anymore because my contact with them has been lost. So I was hoping to get more information on how you use sand I guess to cut the impact of the clay 'glue effect'? And what kinds of sand ratios work? I guess some have done 100% sand? Or is it best to do like a % mix of both?

///

Also I hope you all garden this year. The economy is actually really terrible. its getting worse. Its a good year to garden.

The problem with JUST sand is there is no nutrition there for the plants. But you could add plenty of organic matter. You can also add plant food when you water. Mulch, lots of mulch will be necessary too. Water drains through sandy soil, and can take the nutrients with it.

When I plant potatoes in my sandy soil garden, I dig a hole about a 12-16" deep. I add mulch, plant the seed potatoes, and fill it in about half way. When the plants are above the soil line, I gently fill in around the plants to make it all level again. I add mulch to help feed the soil and keep the moisture level even.

Quick google search:
"Being a root vegetable, potatoes benefit from greater levels of phosphorus and potassium, which encourage tuber growth, as opposed to nitrogen, which encourages vegetative growth. Use a fertilizer that contains more P and K than N, like a 5-10-10 or an 8-24-24."

The problem with JUST sand is there is no nutrition there for the plants. But you could add plenty of organic matter. You can also add plant food when you water. Mulch, lots of mulch will be necessary too. Water drains through sandy soil, and can take the nutrients with it.

When I plant potatoes in my sandy soil garden, I dig a hole about a 12-16" deep. I add mulch, plant the seed potatoes, and fill it in about half way. When the plants are above the soil line, I gently fill in around the plants to make it all level again. I add mulch to help feed the soil and keep the moisture level even.

Quick google search:
"Being a root vegetable, potatoes benefit from greater levels of phosphorus and potassium, which encourage tuber growth, as opposed to nitrogen, which encourages vegetative growth. Use a fertilizer that contains more P and K than N, like a 5-10-10 or an 8-24-24."
Thank you very much.

So is a 8-24-24 is that specific for potatoes, or is that more for everything gardening, or for more than 1 vegetable type? (I believe you but this seemed good to think and ask, re: your input.)

So is a 8-24-24 is that specific for potatoes,
I would look for something with much higher P and K numbers than N. I just found that info with a quick search... I should have noted the website where it was. :oops:

In case you or someone else reading this doesn't know: the three numbers on a fertilizer bag are ALWAYS in this order: N (nitrogen), P (phosphorus), and K (potassium). Even if the fertilizer is just nitrogen, it will have the other two numbers as 0, eg, 5-0-0.

The thing about root crops is that the part we want -- the root -- doesn't need a lot of nitrogen. Give potatoes, or carrots, for example, a heavy dose of nitrogen and they'll grow some impressive tops, but the roots might be less than spectacular. (I've heard carrots can be bitter tasting too.)

An exception to this: Onions and garlic. That's because the bulb we eat is not the plant's roots, it is a set of specialized leaves. So they will do better with a higher nitrogen fertilizer than potatoes.

Sorry, I get chatty when I talk about gardening!

I would look for something with much higher P and K numbers than N. I just found that info with a quick search... I should have noted the website where it was. :oops:

In case you or someone else reading this doesn't know: the three numbers on a fertilizer bag are ALWAYS in this order: N (nitrogen), P (phosphorus), and K (potassium). Even if the fertilizer is just nitrogen, it will have the other two numbers as 0, eg, 5-0-0.

The thing about root crops is that the part we want -- the root -- doesn't need a lot of nitrogen. Give potatoes, or carrots, for example, a heavy dose of nitrogen and they'll grow some impressive tops, but the roots might be less than spectacular. (I've heard carrots can be bitter tasting too.)

An exception to this: Onions and garlic. That's because the bulb we eat is not the plant's roots, it is a set of specialized leaves. So they will do better with a higher nitrogen fertilizer than potatoes.

Sorry, I get chatty when I talk about gardening!
Oh I think its wonderful to get your thoughts on this. Thank you very much. I only asked because I was so curious. You did good.

I want to be able to do better with root vegetables soon. Especially because certain kinds can offer a lot of square footage of foods efficiently.

Especially because certain kinds can offer a lot of square footage of foods efficiently.
Oh yeah!

I've recently discovered I like chard and collards. I'm not a fan of beets, but someone said that yellow beets taste less... earthy. So I'm going to buy some at the store and see if I like beets and beet greens. There's a healthy, space efficient crop!

I've recently read that carrot tops are good, chopped and used like a green. Or given to the chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-garden-today.670277/page-6775

This is the general gardening thread. Stop by and ask any gardening questions, chat about anything gardening, or anything. :)

Awesome advice @Sally PB . I did not know that about onion and garlic.
Beetroot I use leaves like spinach (stir fry or eat in salad) and end of season dig up the root and roast them. You get two for one that way. :)
My yard has carrots and parsley growing willy-nilly as I always let a few go to seed, the hens love sampling the tops.

@nao57 You probably already know this but check whether you bought determinate or indeterminate potatoes as you only need to trench/mound the latter.
I grew indeterminates in well composted and watered raised beds and harvested a bucket worth per plant, vs front yard plain sandy soil which reaped just a handful, so I think soil quality and consistent watering plays a big factor.

I'm not a fan of beets, but someone said that yellow beets taste less... earthy. So I'm going to buy some at the store and see if I like beets and beet greens. There's a healthy, space efficient crop!
Well, I just proved myself wrong, I'm glad to say. I like yellow beets. So I am now a fan!

Even more amazing... hubby took a bite and said, yeah, he'd eat those if they were a side dish.

Yellow beets are going in my garden this spring/summer!

Very good points. Thanks.

One more thing; is it possible that watering too much for potato plants can add to the plants roots and tubers getting glued in and not able to expand? I think most of this is from the clay as there are sources for it. But I'm not discounting that too much water could add to that? And is there such a thing as don't exceed... X amount of water in a watering cycle?

I'm not sure this is really the main point to look at but thought I'd ask to be careful and consider other points.

I grow a lot of the variety Elba. When we get a lot of water all at once, late in the season, this happens.
IMG_4715.JPG

This is in sandy, well draining soil. It's a pain, because I don't dare bake one of the nice big taters, as it might have this issue inside.

Not all of the big ones had this, but a lot of them do.

Back
Top Bottom