Grow out cages

VickieB57

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
Okay, today I'm putting the Pet Lodge rabbit cages together to be used for my quails grow out cage. Y'all say to use the 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth for the bottom of the cage. I bought some Blue Hawk 1/2x1/2 galvanized from Lowes, it just doesn't seem that sturdy. Would you put this on top of the 1/2x1 that comes with the cage or just the 1/2 x 1/2?

Vickie, I would place the 1/2 x 1/2 over top of the 1/2 x 1. Be careful when you cut the 1/2 x 1/2. You will need some tin sheers, and some gloves. That glavanized hardware cloth will be sharp.
Only because I am jealous, are you building just one, or are you getting more than one with plans to "stack" them?
James

James, I have six! I did some freelance work on the side and used that to buy my quail cages. I want 2 for my layers. 1 for my breeders that will be laying for the incubator (for the meat birds) and 3 for grow-out cages. I will be stacking them 3 high.

I've seen several people lament about getting fewer eggs and not know who has quit laying, or wondering who was laying the larger eggs. Because of this I've decided on the layers' cage to have separate compartments. If I don't like it as well as the breeders' cage I'll pull out the dividers.

My chicks will be 3 weeks old this weekend, and I am really looking forward to getting them into their cages! They've been really healthy birds and so far I have not lost one (other than a chick I helped to hatch... That was more my fault though.)

Okay, everyone with experience with the birds is telling me no dividers. You've just talked me out of the dividers.

The only reason I wouldn't use dividers, is that the cages will be crammed... with food and water. Not a whole lot of quaility space for the birds. Even the 30 x 36 cage would be tight with a food dish and waterer.
James.

I have another question. I'm working with my first layers' cage. I would like the back of the floor to be higher than the front, so the eggs will roll down to the front. How much higher would you raise the back, and, after looking at the cage I'm wondering how I can attach the floor at an angle securely to the sides, so that it wont sag down when the birds are on it. Has anyone done this?

One inch high for every foot. So, if you have the 24 x 24 cage, the hardware cloth in the back of the cage floor should be 2 inches higher than the front.

Awesome! it's 30 inches, so I'll make it 2 inches higher.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom