Grow out pen???

GAGE

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2010
GA
I have a nice brooder, but no grow out pen, is a grow out pen just another name for a coop? My serama's are taken car of, but eggs in the other bator and new eggs coming next month, I am going to need more space. What do you all do between brooder and introducing new chickens to the coop?

Incubator...brooder...grow out pen...coop. The grow out pen is for the time when they are too big for the brooder, but not yet fully feathered to be with the big girls.

I tend to raise pullets in batches of 20, more or less. I like to raise them out in their own quarters. The older flock of hens often seem annoyed by the youngster and can be quite domineering and more than a little tough on them. The younger ones cannot really defend themselves yet. Once everyone is of the same size and fighting weight, then the fight is fairer.
smile.png
Plus, the layers and the growing chicks do not eat the same food, and shouldn't.

I move chicks from the 5x8 brooder box to the 8x20 grow out pen at 4 or 5 weeks. They are rowdy and need the space.

69833_dscf2028.jpg

I use this. I had three silkies in in originally but they joined the flock in the main coop so now it's my grow out coop. I can keep them contained just in the enclosed coop with a sweeter heater, let them go up and down the ramp to the run below, or open the pop door and let them out into the yard. It works well for a couple of months by which time they usually mosey into the big coop on their own. Then I lock it up and they are considered big chickens.

34566_growoutcoop.jpg

Quote:
To me the idea is to use a grow out pen after they are fully feathered, around 8 weeks, and before they are full size so that they can hold their own with the older ones. Ideally you would have a separate grow out pen for the ones in the bator and the new eggs coming next month, so you don't have to integrate anyone til they are full size.

That's from reading, though, not what I've done. What I've done is raise broody hatched chicks in with the flock.

Fred's Hens :

I tend to raise pullets in batches of 20, more or less. I like to raise them out in their own quarters. The older flock of hens often seem annoyed by the youngster and can be quite domineering and more than a little tough on them. The younger ones cannot really defend themselves yet. Once everyone is of the same size and fighting weight, then the fight is fairer.
smile.png
Plus, the layers and the growing chicks do not eat the same food, and shouldn't.

I move chicks from the 5x8 brooder box to the 8x20 grow out pen at 4 or 5 weeks. They are rowdy and need the space.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69833_dscf2028.jpg

That is a very nice grow out pen, anyone else?​

Back
Top Bottom