1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grower crumble with coccidiostat for laying hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by snowchicken, Oct 23, 2008.

1. snowchicken

snowchicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Victoria, Australia
    Hi all, my chickens are 21 weeks. I started them on layer pellets 3 weeks ago but am mixing this up with left over grower crumbles. I have read this is ok to do.... but as of yesterday we have eggs!!!
    So I've still got plenty of grower crumble left to use up. My question is this: does the coccidiostat affect the eggs? Can I eat them?, should I ring the feed supplier?
    I wonder how much of the medication, if any, is transferred to the egg.
    Really appreciate some feedback, as I'm not eating the eggs until I know if they're ok!!

2. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    If you do a search, I think you will find the answer to this question..I cant help as I do not know sorry.

3. snowchicken

Sep 28, 2008
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks roos.
    I searched...and revealed more concern for whether the produce will be organic (particularly in legal terms), rather than actual health effects.
    I have sent an email to the feed company (Barastoc) and I'll update with response.
    My feeling is they will tell me to discard the growers crumbles...and therefore need to buy more feed. $$$.
    I just don't like to waste things...guess I shouldn't have bought such a big bag, but it's hard to know how much the little critters will eat!

4. snowchicken

Sep 28, 2008
    Victoria, Australia
    After Googling and reading a couple of articles, residue of coccidiostat in eggs is not a desirable thing. However, these articles are based on large scale production & commercial supply.
    I could not find out exactly what the ill-effects of consuming the eggs would be. I wonder if a couple of eggs here and there would matter? I have been mixing the medicated feed at about 20% with 80% layer pellets. They free range most days. Could this be an amount small enough to not worry about?
    Perhaps I should just throw the bag out and be done with my time on this issue!
    But the heartbreaking thing is that the eggs they've laid look so good...I really want to eat them.!
    I need a human health expert please!!
    Regards. Snowchicken.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some starter/grower feed is medicated. I feed medicated starter/grower to my chicks and straight layer to my big girls. When the little girls start laying and if I have any starter/grower left, I mix it with the layer. I don't worry about it being medicated. The medication is sulfa based. Only a problem if you have alergies to sulfa. There is a thread on BYC about this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What is the medication? If its amprol, doesn't matter. If it's sulfa based, it only matters for egg eaters who are alergic to sulfa drugs.

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    you could always store it in a cool, dry place for your next brood.

8. snowchicken

Sep 28, 2008
    Victoria, Australia
    Sweet, I will be eating those little eggs today!!
    Thanks for the responses.

Snowchicken

9. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    that's scary I am allergic to sulfa, I go into anaphalctic shock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by