Grower or Layer Feed?

I should have said, would it reduce my egg volume per week going with all flock instead of layer feed. So far I like the Roo and would not want to feed him something that will harm him.
If your birds do not eat enough calcium, then yes it can reduce your egg count per week.

What I'm trying to stress is that your rooster is much less likely to ever have any issues eating a layer type feed compared to all of the issues your hens can have by not eating enough calcium.

In the end it comes down to choice.

For me and my flock (I have a few elderly non laying, several elderly still laying, several young pullets and a cockerel) I chose to feed flock raiser with oyster shell on the side.

My flock ranges from 18 weeks to 9 years in age. I still get good quality shells on the eggs from my elderly birds and yes 9 out of 12 birds over age 5 still lay regularly.

It works for my flock. Those that need extra have it available and those that don't aren't being forced to consume it.

One could put both types of feed out and oyster shell in a separate dish and the birds can self regulate their intake.

Back
Top Bottom