Grower to Layer

FrauxHenne

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2023
Hi there. So our girls are 16 weeks old now and we have a little less than half a bag of Chick Starter Grower feed from Theisens. I just want to know how you all might proceed. Do I buy another bag of this now or buy Layer and start mixing it in?

1x Cinnamon Queen
2x Calico Princess
1x Wyandotte
1x Sapphire Gem
1x Easter Egger

Petunia, the Queen, because pictures are fun!

Attachments

• IMG_7977.jpeg
    IMG_7977.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 52
You can keep them on grower all their lives, with oyster shell free choice, on the side.

The CQ is likely to start laying soon. The CP will probably start shortly thereafter. Your Wyan may not lay for three more months. The SG and EE are both mutts carrying the blue gene - anyone's guess.

And within those broad trends? Daily light level has influence, and there's a definite variation between individuals. "Start of Lay" is more a strong suggestion than something to mark on the calendar, unless you plan to mark four weeks as "sometime in here, probably".

My Sapphire Gems started to lay around 20-21 weeks, One is more consistent than the other. I have what I think is a CQ (or a New Hampshire Red or RI Red) she followed at 21-22 weeks as well. I have them finishing off their grower feed and have a separate thing for oyster shells. I plan on getting layer feed soon. I also had the same concerns... I bought smaller 7lbs bags of feed rather than 25lbs just so the feed could be mixed easily when the time came.

Hi there. So our girls are 16 weeks old now and we have a little less than half a bag of Chick Starter Grower feed from Theisens. I just want to know how you all might proceed. Do I buy another bag of this now or buy Layer and start mixing it in?

1x Cinnamon Queen
2x Calico Princess
1x Wyandotte
1x Sapphire Gem
1x Easter Egger

Petunia, the Queen, because pictures are fun!
Awww she’s gorgeous!!!!

Back
Top Bottom