Growin' fresh and looking to learn...

Beesteagirl

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Hi there. I'm a newbie over here and looking to learn as much as I can about raising my own chickens for family eggs. We live in un-incorporated Arapahoe County (outside of Aurora city limits) and feel the itch to grow our own veggies, some fruits and nurse some chickens in the whole package.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am not really new to raising urban chickens. We raised them as kids in both Huntington Beach, CA and Riverside, CA in the 70's and 80's. It was a blast to be the only kids in the neighborhood with chickens, and what I loved best was the variety of color and freshness of the eggs. But you can see it has been a long time since I have cared for chickens, and a different climate to boot. And so now I have much more to learn to give the gals we hope for a loving and safe home.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have zero at the moment, but think that I could accommodate 4-6 in my backyard with a coop and space to range.

(3) What breeds do you have?

None. I do think that I would like a Blue/ Black Orpington, as well as a Rhode Island Red-- my childhood fav-- but I am interested in learning more about the various breeds. And what would a good fit for us.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I was trying my best to find info on the laws in my area, and well this site came up over and over again. I'm glad I'm here now.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We are "lasagna gardening" this summer, and that is a first for me in this climate also. We love the outdoors-- skiing, snowboarding, hiking and geocaching-- and love our backyard.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We are a family of 4-- mom, dad, 2 yr old little sprout and 7 yr old golden retriever-- with a MIL down the street. I'm a SAHM with a very small children's handknit clothing business, and loves to spin wool and be creative . My hubby is a nurse, with a passion for the outdoors and golf. The little sprout loves painting, jumping, sign language dvds, lives in cloth diapers and eats like a bird. Our goldie loves to be mellow, go for car rides and eat everything in sight.

Last edited:
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

I've had chickens for a few years now. Had them when I was a kid too. My parents had a little bit of every type of farm animal. I have 10 laying hens, and a bunch of chicks.

welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas I used to live in Aurora my apartment was at Chambers and Colfax but that was 19 years ago when my son was born. Good luck with your new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom