Growing a chick in a bowl

Wow....that's messed up..I got 6 eggs in my home made incubator I put in today..never in a cup..don't they need the shell..wow I'm gonna have to keep an eye on your progress GOOD LUCK

Recap day 1-5

Well "Petri" died he made it to 5 1/2 days. This is my 4th egg so I guess I give. Here's a pic of him

I took a bowl and put plastic wrap in it and put a rubber band on it. The plastic wrap should dip down in the bowl far enough so you can cover it. I then cracked the egg in it and made sure the bullseye was on top then covered it with plastic wrap and taped it around edge then put it in a incubator at normal settings for an egg. I haven't read anywhere where they last anymore than 16 days but we will see.
cool

I will second teh previous comments about the Kordon Breather Bags. They allow gas exchange without leaking out fluid (made for fish transportation where they will be shipped over long distances and oxygen is not always available). Your chick will have better oxygen supply with those, but you will still have to figure out evaporation of excess moisture, without poking holes which will allow bacteria to infiltrate. Sanitation is KEY. This almost needs to be done in a lab or in some similar set-up where an open flame is burning whilst you set it all up. The flame circulates the surounding air through the flame, cleaning it, so to speak, and preventing dust/bacteria from settling on your work area. Any bowl, needle, etc...you use should be sanitazed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom