Growing chicken & fowl feed?

Consider talking to a local Mom n Pop restaurant about leaving a 5 gallon bucket for food scraps. Pick it up every day/every other day and exchange it with an empty one. It can't replace a healthy balanced feed but it could help defray feed costs. My chickens love leftovers from our meals, and we have a local donut shop who occasionally gives me a big box of leftover donuts for my chickens because we give them a dozen eggs now and again. The chickens love the donut treats.

Have you thought about selling extra eggs? That can help with net feed cost, too.

Consider talking to a local Mom n Pop restaurant about leaving a 5 gallon bucket for food scraps. Pick it up every day/every other day and exchange it with an empty one. It can't replace a healthy balanced feed but it could help defray feed costs. My chickens love leftovers from our meals, and we have a local donut shop who occasionally gives me a big box of leftover donuts for my chickens because we give them a dozen eggs now and again. The chickens love the donut treats.

Have you thought about selling extra eggs? That can help with net feed cost, too.
Thanks. Great idea.
We have discussed selling eggs. My hubby enjoys giving them away. We bought 50 or so Styrofoam cartons and people give us Styrofoam egg cartons that we clean and reuse.
We might have to rehash the discussion. Feed prices have about doubled in our area.

We give away a lot of eggs but my wife sells probably 5 or 6 dozen a week for $3/doz. We have somewhere north of 50 hens, ten roosters (7 are in bachelor camp, getting fat for Freezer Day), eight BBW poults and about 25 chicks. An extra $15-20 a week comes in handy for all the feed we go through.

We give away a lot of eggs but my wife sells probably 5 or 6 dozen a week for $3/doz. We have somewhere north of 50 hens, ten roosters (7 are in bachelor camp, getting fat for Freezer Day), eight BBW poults and about 25 chicks. An extra $15-20 a week comes in handy for all the feed we go through.
Cool. Yeah. 3-5 a dozen would be good. We are closer to 18-22 eggs a day thru winter. Production way down.

So the people getting eggs, some have given back in ways.
Now we have been able to borrow an hitch pull open trailer for free. Been given okra. And was able to buy our run roofing super cheap.
Might have hubby say, "My wife has been selling them." And see if that sparks any interest. Lol

Our hard boiled Thanksgiving deviled eggs

Attachments

• 20211125_090951.jpg
    20211125_090951.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom