Growing duckweed in stock tank for ducks

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
Has anyone tried putting duckweed in their ducks' swimming water? I am intrigued by the idea of putting it in their 1,000 gallon stock tank as a high protein fresh feed supplement. I've also read it can help clean the water, though I'd be shocked if it does much to help a duck pool. I drain and refill the tank once a month so I don't know if I could save some of it to put back in the new water but that could also pose an issue.
Most reviews I've seen on duckweed for sale say it came with snails and worms, so would it be a possible parasite problem for the ducks?

I wanted to grow some in a stock tank by our back deck for the chickens and ducks. Added 4 small cups of it. (bought from Flip Aquatics) It all disappeared in a few days. I think the minnows in there ate it all. LOL! I didn't find worms or snails.

I wanted to grow some in a stock tank by our back deck for the chickens and ducks. Added 4 small cups of it. (bought from Flip Aquatics) It all disappeared in a few days. I think the minnows in there ate it all. LOL! I didn't find worms or snails.
Oh dear 😆. I don't have minnows in the stock tank but I'd probably have to keep the ducks out for a while to let it grow. I have no idea how fast they'd eat it.

I am going to be trying this with my ducks as well as in my tropical tank. I got some bug-like things with it and I ordered it from an aquarium site. To limit the bug transfer I am taking a small portion out of the container by letting it stick to my finger and grow in a separate tank for now. To be fair it will likely obtain bugs or even native snails if it is outside regardless but I share your concern.

I am going to be trying this with my ducks as well as in my tropical tank. I got some bug-like things with it and I ordered it from an aquarium site. To limit the bug transfer I am taking a small portion out of the container by letting it stick to my finger and grow in a separate tank for now. To be fair it will likely obtain bugs or even native snails if it is outside regardless but I share your concern.
I'd be interested to hear how it goes! I wouldn't think all bugs would be bad, some of them probably just make more duck snacks. But the worms made me think of parasites.

Back
Top Bottom