Pics

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
Impossible you say, the chickens will eat it before it grows.

Not if you put a grass sized greenhouse over it.

I was messing around trying to keep moisture in some new grass I was growing on a tray and put an old tubby over the grass... when I moved it to the chicken yard I just put the cover back over it. Now I have some more areas started right in the chicken yard. Picked up some low tubbies from wally to start some new grass.

JT

Attachments

• chicken-grass-1.jpg
    chicken-grass-1.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 124
  • chicken-grass-2.jpg
    chicken-grass-2.jpg
    834.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
If your "Run" is big enough, you'll still have grass anyway. Just cut mine yesterday.

Our run is 20 ft by 20 ft. It took 13 chickies less than a month to decimate it.

@jthornton this is BRILLIANT! I had planned on doing tubs of sunflower seed sprouts to *put out* for my girls... now I can just do them right in their run!

Our run is 20 ft by 20 ft. It took 13 chickies less than a month to decimate it.

@jthornton this is BRILLIANT! I had planned on doing tubs of sunflower seed sprouts to *put out* for my girls... now I can just do them right in their run!

I had a similar experience...a 100 sq foot run for 9 chickens and it seemed that grass was gone before I could turn around.

Run this IDEA . It is not mine in origin BTW. Plant whatever. Grass/fodder/herbs/etc. Cover with a frame made of 2 x 4 wood. On top of frame, staple 1/2 inch or slightly larger hardware cloth. When greens grow thru the screened protection, chickens consume the plants. They do not finish off the plant by eating roots and all. Scratching is also prevented from destroying the plant as well.

I had a similar experience...a 100 sq foot run for 9 chickens and it seemed that grass was gone before I could turn around.

Yup. Since then, we've been looking in to what to put in the run to help get the girls outta the mud and stuff they can still scratch and turn and peck through, for composting purposes.

Be careful my freind
A title like your thread title may cause problems with the police! :lau

LMAO!!!!!:yuckyuck

Back
Top Bottom