Growing My Olive Eggers

Alex15

Songster
Feb 24, 2013
I recently got what should end up as 6 olive eggers from a lovely backyard breeder that separated eggs for me. 1 pen had a welsummer rooster over cream legbar hens and an olive egger hen (maran legbar cross). I got 1 blue legbar egg and 2 pale green eggs from the OE. 2nd pen had a cream legbar rooster over welsummer hens, a splash maran and a cuckoo maran. I got 3 brown eggs from that pen.

Just for fun I thought I’d create a post with weekly pics of how they’re developing for anyone curious about these crosses. I’m obviously curious to see who will be boys and who girls, what colours they will be and what colour eggs the hens will lay!

So far I’ve just got nicknames for my little ones and these are them at one day old:

Bluey from the blue egg
595E3469-51AE-44D5-A030-F65CDF066D67.jpeg

Queenie from a green egg
Queenie C.JPG

Goldie from a green egg:
26CCEC85-90C6-4339-A40E-16081E6BFD4E.jpeg

Splodge from a brown egg:
Splodge C.JPG

Sparkles from a brown egg:
Sparkles C.JPG

And Bear from a brown egg:
Bear C.JPG

I'm pretty sure I have the egg colours right cause it seems to make sense the chipmunks would be legbar welsummer crosses and the black chicks legbar maran crosses. Bear is a bit different and I'm guessing he/she's a cross of the legbar with a maran but maybe with more legbar coming through? Pretty sure Bluey is the legbar welsummer cross as the breeder watched her hatch and said she was the one with the brightest stripes!

From my reading, none of these crosses are sex linked (though I was hopeful about the chipmunks having eyeliner but worried about the spots on Sparkles and Splodge) so it will be a bit of a wait and see (am hoping for hens)! Is it a worry I can already see little combs on Bear and Queenie at 1 day old?

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on anything, but also just posting for a bit of fun :)

I recently got what should end up as 6 olive eggers from a lovely backyard breeder that separated eggs for me. 1 pen had a welsummer rooster over cream legbar hens and an olive egger hen (maran legbar cross). I got 1 blue legbar egg and 2 pale green eggs from the OE. 2nd pen had a cream legbar rooster over welsummer hens, a splash maran and a cuckoo maran. I got 3 brown eggs from that pen.

Just for fun I thought I’d create a post with weekly pics of how they’re developing for anyone curious about these crosses. I’m obviously curious to see who will be boys and who girls, what colours they will be and what colour eggs the hens will lay!

So far I’ve just got nicknames for my little ones and these are them at one day old:

Bluey from the blue egg
View attachment 2348898
Queenie from a green egg
View attachment 2349898
Goldie from a green egg:
View attachment 2348899
Splodge from a brown egg:
View attachment 2349899
Sparkles from a brown egg:
View attachment 2349913
And Bear from a brown egg:
View attachment 2349914

I'm pretty sure I have the egg colours right cause it seems to make sense the chipmunks would be legbar welsummer crosses and the black chicks legbar maran crosses. Bear is a bit different and I'm guessing he/she's a cross of the legbar with a maran but maybe with more legbar coming through? Pretty sure Bluey is the legbar welsummer cross as the breeder watched her hatch and said she was the one with the brightest stripes!

From my reading, none of these crosses are sex linked (though I was hopeful about the chipmunks having eyeliner but worried about the spots on Sparkles and Splodge) so it will be a bit of a wait and see (am hoping for hens)! Is it a worry I can already see little combs on Bear and Queenie at 1 day old?

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on anything, but also just posting for a bit of fun :)
They are adorable!!!!! 😍 :love 😍

Last edited:
So it’s now been a week and the little chicks are getting lots of feathers and also a bit crazier! They’ve looking up a lot lately so will prob start flying out of their box brooder in the coming days! Will need bring the wire in to cover them!

Here they are in the same order as before.

Bluey: lots of wing feathers and a little stumpy tail!
9F8CCBF3-6A00-4836-9FBB-83FC9A578240.jpeg

Queenie: also with lots of feather growth
2EBD60A5-3935-44DA-A74F-4DF66FBA94D7.jpeg

Goldie:
2E7E2269-7DA1-4810-BA55-ABA764004A2E.jpeg

Splodge:
30946D3B-53E5-4835-9557-1FAB24FD0F73.jpeg

Sparkles: not a lot of feather growth but he’s always been a bit smaller than the rest.

8FDAF7B2-D0F3-463E-81E4-418231CEDF18.jpeg

Bear:
022BD765-2A43-4634-8FDA-493A2F680CE9.jpeg

My chipmunk feather growers seem to have the Welsummer feather pattern (from memory of my welsummer chicks years ago). Bears are a little different, a little more grey in there. My blackies seem to have mostly black feathers (I just saw one of them do a big stretch), I guess just with a little white at the end. It’s crazy how quickly these little things grow!

They're so stinking cute!!! One of my new chicks is an OE (hatching today) and I can't wait to compare her to yours and see where she falls in. Like getting a sneak preview.

They're so stinking cute!!! One of my new chicks is an OE (hatching today) and I can't wait to compare her to yours and see where she falls in. Like getting a sneak preview.

you’ll have to share a pic when they hatch! What breeds will your OE be? (As in its parents :p) it will be fun if it looks like either of mine! I really can’t wait to see how mine will end up!

you’ll have to share a pic when they hatch! What breeds will your OE be? (As in its parents :p) it will be fun if it looks like either of mine! I really can’t wait to see how mine will end up!

I'm not sure, she's coming from Meyer today!! Waiting by my phone for a call from the post office like a crazy person. 😁

Back
Top Bottom