Growing the flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by citygonechicken, Apr 24, 2017.

1. citygonechicken

citygonechicken Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    Iowa
    I'm a new member to this site but have used it plenty to get through raising the flock that I have. I grew up In the city and have lived there until just recently. My boyfriend has cattle and I wanted something of my own, a little less dangerous. I started last year with 12 chicks and growing the flock this year with 16 more. It's been a fun learning process. I'm trying to decide what to do with all of my eggs and wondering how people keep track of theirs for freshness. I have a few roosters as well and was curious about incubators and which ones work best to hatch eggs.

2. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life!

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    Hello and [​IMG] I'm glad to hear that you've already found the site useful! I did to long before I ever joined.
    Yes, I think chickens are just a tad less dangerous than cattle. LOL
    I keep track of the freshness of my eggs with masking tape and a sharpie. I put the tape in the carton and write the date they were laid. I don't wash my eggs, but I do store them in the fridge mostly for convenience. They get arranged in there in order so that I can easily always take from the oldest. Hope that helps. I can't take credit for it, amazing hubby made our simple system.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

My flock is small but I use a rotational system in one fridge -

If any are in question, place in water - fresher ones sink and old ones float.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under citygonechicken [​IMG] Welcome!

If you find you have a glut of eggs, What do you do with all those eggs is the current Topic of the Week and you might find this thread helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1168703/topic-of-the-week-what-do-you-do-with-all-those-eggs

This is probably the best Forum on which to post your incubator question: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Sorry, I have no incubator experience, just hatches under a broody hen.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. citygonechicken

citygonechicken Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    Iowa
    Thanks for all of your help. I look forward to hearing more about other people's experiences with chickens.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by