Growling chickens?!

Goyo's Girl

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Walla Walla, Washington
I'm having so much fun watching my new little flock. My Bard Rock hens (most aggressive birds in my flock) and the Aracauna rooster make growling noises when I approach them. They don't seem alarmed or scared, just intent on seeing what treat I've brought them. Any thoughts on what this behavior is? So far, other than the growling, my rooster is very gentle and lets me pick him up and pet him. He actually seems to enjoy it.

Also, several of them have been laying for 2-3 weeks now - but they ALL have used the same nest box. Today, my little red Rhodey was acting strange; trying to get into the same nest box with another hen who was laying. I'm fairly certain it was the Rhodey's first egg. She seemed quite distressed and unable to settle down anywhere. I placed her in a separate nest box and put a black tarp over the entry to make it dark and private. She scratched around a bit and finally settled down to lay a nice big brown egg. When I removed the tarp, she acted strange; very subdued and almost in shock. I picked her up and placed her by the water/feeder and she just stood there, unmoving for a long time. Is this normal? Was it a bad idea to "trap" her in the nest box?

56642_1008_chickens_045.jpg

I have my first ever flock this year too. Mine have just recently began to lay, and some of them don't bat an eye at it. Others have gotten very lethargic afterwards, and have taken a little bit of time to recover from their first one. I think it is fairly normal, especially if they have lain a big egg. In my flock, it seems to be the more "slender" pullets that need recovery time.

Hope you get some more experienced answers than mine.

OK, so.... A) That is one fine rooster you have there. Just adorable! B) I had a young Silver Laced Wyandotte Bantam rooster named Marshall. He was THE most gorgeous SLW roo I have ever seen. Had to re-home him because I can't have roosters. I still miss him....ok, now he would talk to me, and it could have been considered a growl. Its was like: derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, der der. But he did this all the time too. While interacting with the girls, while checking out new places to eat bugs, and just before sounding the alarm to the girls. He also had the most adorable whistle talk, he used this when he was trying to sweet talk me to get out in the morning or whenever he saw me near the treat bag.
I don't think your birds are growling, I think they are talking to you. They really don't have much or a range in sound for conversation. Enjoy the chicken gossip!

Back
Top Bottom