Growth/infection on upper leg

Ac33iu

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
Sandown, NH
We noticed our chicken acting lethargic two weeks ago and just a few days ago noticed a limp. We initially gave her vitamins and made sure she was eating and drinking (which she is). When we noticed the limp, we brought her in to soak and noticed what feels like a growth, but looks like an infection. While she is still eating, she has lost a lot of weight. She is now separated from the flock to ensure she is eating and we can monitor more closely. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 20211204_115117.jpg
    20211204_115117.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211204_115114.jpg
    20211204_115114.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 3
Looks like she might have gotten injured there. I find coconut oil (warm) works a treat in healing skin and fighting infection. If it's mites, the oil would also take care of that by suffocating the lil boogers.

My rooster has the same on both his legs. So far he is still walking. Coconut oil helped a lot. I let them go for a months and the scabs were hard as a rock. I took a pair of clippers and cut at the scabs and took off as much as possible without causing bleeding, but there was some blood but absolutely no pain. I still dont know what caused it and it isnt healing, but it isnt getting worse either. The coconut oil i put on at night and i just hope he can still walk in the future because theybare really bad infections. He does limp a little.

That's really interesting. And no clue what caused it?
No i posted a thread but the photos werent clear. I may update with photos of after i cut scabs off. It is on both legs in the same spot, but i guess it was mites or infected feathers that he was picking at with his beak. It must have been really itchy for him to descale his legs too.
Screenshot_20211204-182454_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom