Growth on beak

Chr2241130

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2018
I was out of town for a week (someone came to feed and water the chickens while we were away) and got back to see that one of my leghorns has a growth on her beak. She is also pretty lethargic and moving around slower than usual. She is still eating and drinking. Any ideas on what I should do? 20181129_180206.jpg 20181129_180233.jpg

I was out of town for a week (someone came to feed and water the chickens while we were away) and got back to see that one of my leghorns has a growth on her beak. She is also pretty lethargic and moving around slower than usual. She is still eating and drinking. Any ideas on what I should do? View attachment 1602968 View attachment 1602969
Take a close look at that beak, is it cracked or just the way the scab looks in the photo?
The lethargy and moving slower is a bit concerning, look inside the beak just to make sure there are no lesions or plaques.

It could be Fowl Pox, it's hard to tell sometimes, but youngsters are prone to sticking their beaks where they don't belong and getting injured.

She may just be lethargic because she is not eating/drinking well, but I would also get a good look at her poop. If you do think the beak is cracked, it may be sore, offer her a little wet food, that may be easier to eat than pecking at crumbles/pellets.

upload_2018-11-29_21-45-49.png

A picture of her poop, the feather fell on it while I was getting her out of the kennel. The inside of her beak looks normal. She has been inside the past 24 hrs and had been eating and drinking fine, thank goodness!

20181130_091441.jpg

Back
Top Bottom