Growth on leg? What is this?

Sandraholl

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2023
I have a hen who has been off for the last few days. She was hanging out in the coop and a little wobbly on her feet. I was able to get her eating and drinking and she has pepped up and is acting normal. I’m seeing indigested food in her droppings and she has very watery poop. Feed store recommended corid and I started it yesterday. Noticed this strange growth on her metatarsal and I’m not sure what to make of it. Has anyone seen something like this? Would this be something that could happen from leg mites? It seems to be growing out between the scales on her legs.
84620EF8-C907-4C27-B62E-990046E8AA87.jpeg

I have a hen who has been off for the last few days. She was hanging out in the coop and a little wobbly on her feet. I was able to get her eating and drinking and she has pepped up and is acting normal. I’m seeing indigested food in her droppings and she has very watery poop. Feed store recommended corid and I started it yesterday. Noticed this strange growth on her metatarsal and I’m not sure what to make of it. Has anyone seen something like this? Would this be something that could happen from leg mites? It seems to be growing out between the scales on her legs.View attachment 3573773
Looks to have a drop of blood or two on the feet, do you know where that came from?

I don't see a growth on the leg, are you referring to her spur? It's not uncommon for hens to have spurs.

Please post photos of her and her poop.

Has she laid eggs recently - what are they like?

Could she have been picked on or kept from food/water?
Work on hydration and get her eating.

Corid will treat Coccidiosis only, it is not an antibiotic.

She has bits of watermelon on her feet. I was able to get her out of the coop and eating with the watermelon. It’s not blood.

And I guess that could be a spur but only on one side? I never noticed it before!

I’ll post some more pictures.

All the hens were laying regularly and they have nearly stopped since it got very hot. She is the oldest and lays less than the other two.

Despite being under the weather she is still at the top of the pecking order so I do t think she is being deprived of food/water.

Oh, watermelon juice!
That's better than blood.

Being wobbly is concerning, I'd watch to see that she's staying hydrated.
Undigested food in the droppings, she may be drinking a lot and it's all just passing through her, hard to know.

When is the last time you dewormed your flock?

I'd give her a good going over.
Make sure her crop is emptying overnight, check for lice/mites, look again for injury.
Watch to see that she's staying hydrated.

If possible, get a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem. If that's not doable, then consider deworming.
Fenbendazole (Safeguard) or Albendazole (Valbazen) are both good dewormers to use.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom