Growth or Tumer on face- picture

Jodie9876

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
My Buff Orphington hen developed a growth with no previous injury to the area. It started maybe a week or two ago and I continued to observe it to see if it would clear up. It only grew larger and appears to have a dark discharge dried to it. I sadly discovered that it seems to have spread to the other side of her face and a little on the roof of her mouth. She seems to be acting normally and is eating. I have'nt found anything online or in books that matches her symptoms. Does anyone know what it could be and how to treat it?? I feel extremely guilty for not seeking help sooner as this chicken means alot to me. please help!!!!

download

Have you tried getting a wash cloth, soaking it in some epsom salt water and seeing if it might open up and drain out??? You need to be careful though and make sure it doesnt go into her nose or eyes.

Looks like a severe sinus infection to me.

Get a warm wash cloth, and clean it up. I'd keep her isolated inside.

Thank you everyone so much for the advice!! I will follow it and give you all an update.

I have tried to soak it with a washcloth with epsom salt water. The skin has definatly gotten wetter but it hasnt opened yet. should I keep trying this or should I try to open it with a sterilized needle??

You can try to drain it with a needle but I recommend you lance it. Draining with a needle will not open it enough to allow it to drain and chances are you will have to redrain several times if using a needle. Opening it up will allow continious drainage. If you do open it up make sure you open it where the drainage will be away from the eye or nasal passage at the bottom inbetween the two areas would be the best.

You can try to drain it with a needle but I recommend you lance it. Draining with a needle will not open it enough to allow it to drain and chances are you will have to redrain several times if using a needle. Opening it up will allow continious drainage. If you do open it up make sure you open it where the drainage will be away from the eye or nasal passage at the bottom inbetween the two areas would be the best.
Thank you so much for the advice!! I've never dealt with a problem like this so I'm a little freaked out about it. If I open it up do I need to put any kind of bandage on it?

I wouldn't.. just coat it with neosporin (no caine) twice a day after cleaning until it appears that the infection is gone.

Back
Top Bottom