Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

Big project down and on to the next. I'll use some leftovers from the big quilt, but add lighter pinks, aquas and maybe some grays as well to the chevron log cabin blocks with the starting square in one corner. I see I started two of them on the wrong color, good grief, LOL. But this is the block. I think it looks better in graduated shades of either solids or tone-on-tone or in bright colors for visual punch, but I'll do a small quilt with these and see how it goes. If I could find out the sex of my new great grandniece/nephew, this may be her baby quilt.

Big project down and on to the next. I'll use some leftovers from the big quilt, but add lighter pinks, aquas and maybe some grays as well to the chevron log cabin blocks with the starting square in one corner. I see I started two of them on the wrong color, good grief, LOL. But this is the block. I think it looks better in graduated shades of either solids or tone-on-tone or in bright colors for visual punch, but I'll do a small quilt with these and see how it goes. If I could find out the sex of my new great grandniece/nephew, this may be her baby quilt.
What a beautiful and unique baby quilt that would make. Not that I don't like the baby animals and alphabet building block motifs for kids but I personally would prefer the uniqueness of a quilt like you are planning. It can match almost any decor and still be used as the child outgrows the 'cutesy baby animal' stage. Would it seem odd to ask the parents of the expectant mother if she had a favored blanket or cloth item as a child and somehow work a patch of that into the design (or something similar to it)?

What a beautiful and unique baby quilt that would make. Not that I don't like the baby animals and alphabet building block motifs for kids but I personally would prefer the uniqueness of a quilt like you are planning. It can match almost any decor and still be used as the child outgrows the 'cutesy baby animal' stage.
Would it seem odd to ask the parents of the expectant mother if she had a favored blanket or cloth item as a child and somehow work a patch of that into the design (or something similar to it)?
I guess I could. The mother, Maying, is from China, beautiful young lady. Their first daughter is stunningly gorgeous. I'll have to find out if the new baby is a boy or a girl, though. No one has mentioned that yet. If they decide not to find out, I'll have to do a unisex color quilt, I guess.

Does this almost look like Attic Windows to you guys? It does to me. I didn't expect the almost 3D look to it, even with just the floral fabrics. Not sure how big I'm going with it yet. Going to see if they know yet if I am getting a grand niece or nephew. The baby is due in May and they found out the first time way ahead, so I'd guess they'd do the same this time.

Does this almost look like Attic Windows to you guys? It does to me. I didn't expect the almost 3D look to it, even with just the floral fabrics. Not sure how big I'm going with it yet. Going to see if they know yet if I am getting a grand niece or nephew. The baby is due in May and they found out the first time way ahead, so I'd guess they'd do the same this time.
It does look rather 3D... I would work the pattern as long as it continues to look good, possibly to twin size to allow use on the childs bed if they choose, but definitely to crib size which I like since it can be used as a lap blanket or car blanket also at that size. When my son was little I found a lap quilt at a yard sale, it was my 'work horse' blanket for years, it made a great cover in the car, was small enough to be portable in his stroller and in the house was often used for nap time in his play pen. It wasn't made with the best quality material and the backing wore badly but it did the job when we needed it.

It does look rather 3D... I would work the pattern as long as it continues to look good, possibly to twin size to allow use on the childs bed if they choose, but definitely to crib size which I like since it can be used as a lap blanket or car blanket also at that size.
When my son was little I found a lap quilt at a yard sale, it was my 'work horse' blanket for years, it made a great cover in the car, was small enough to be portable in his stroller and in the house was often used for nap time in his play pen. It wasn't made with the best quality material and the backing wore badly but it did the job when we needed it.

I bought a wedding ring quilt that was slightly smaller than twin size at a yard sale years ago for just $5. It had hanging tabs on it and for a time, it hung behind my headboard in the master bedroom. I've had it for years now. love those kind of finds.

I will see if I can get it to an extra large crib quilt. Finally, I see that Walmart has a few new spring fabrics filtering in. I got a couple of pretty pinks today for this little quilt. Watch them tell me it's a boy and I'll have to start that fabric search!

SpeckledHen

I would be arrogant and straight forward as that blanket and your time commands and deserves the price you are asking and more! In fact, I think the woman should be honored to get it at the price you stated.

Even from a guys prospective, that is a **** beautiful quilt/spread (and no I'm not Gay) lol. If they cannot appreciate your quality, the hand works and time they are lacking in some reality. Perhaps next time, give them the price and ask them to pay up front. Keep that beautiful piece of work and use it as a display of your quality..... and BRAG!

At the least, I would have dropped the offer at the first hint of her objection to the price...neighbor or not! Then comment its OK I'll just write off the $XXX .00 dollars in materials as a loss on my taxes.....then say "I agree it does'nt show the 15+(?) hours of work I have in it, and remind her of the 0.50 cents an hour labors calculations". Can you excuse me, I need to oil my machine, I wore it out on that blanket and need to get started on another customers blanket...just hope the electric bill isn't too high this month. I would guilt the hell out of them! They certainly don't mind insulting you now did they?

We all know (even we Men) the hard work and love you put into such and the photos show that. The fact that the person was getting inputs from a senior citizen(s) prospective, I doubt that most of them are in touch with the reality of toady's cost so dint take it too personal. I am sure the fabric prices they noted were of some senior citizen discounts of 3 year outdated prints and such that were collecting dust at the fabric shop.

I am as country as you can expect today, but even I can appreciate and respect a good hand made Quilt/Spread and compare it too a Bespoke suit of fine virgin wool's and materials. Not to mention the personal Taylor customized quality.

Thank you for sharing the photos, they were a pleasure!

SpeckledHen

I would be arrogant and straight forward as that blanket and your time commands and deserves the price you are asking and more! In fact, I think the woman should be honored to get it at the price you stated.

Even from a guys prospective, that is a **** beautiful quilt/spread (and no I'm not Gay) lol. If they cannot appreciate your quality, the hand works and time they are lacking in some reality. Perhaps next time, give them the price and ask them to pay up front. Keep that beautiful piece of work and use it as a display of your quality..... and BRAG!

At the least, I would have dropped the offer at the first hint of her objection to the price...neighbor or not! Then comment its OK I'll just write off the $XXX .00 dollars in materials as a loss on my taxes.....then say "I agree it does'nt show the 15+(?) hours of work I have in it, and remind her of the 0.50 cents an hour labors calculations". Can you excuse me, I need to oil my machine, I wore it out on that blanket and need to get started on another customers blanket...just hope the electric bill isn't too high this month. I would guilt the hell out of them! They certainly don't mind insulting you now did they?

We all know (even we Men) the hard work and love you put into such and the photos show that. The fact that the person was getting inputs from a senior citizen(s) prospective, I doubt that most of them are in touch with the reality of toady's cost so dint take it too personal. I am sure the fabric prices they noted were of some senior citizen discounts of 3 year outdated prints and such that were collecting dust at the fabric shop.

I am as country as you can expect today, but even I can appreciate and respect a good hand made Quilt/Spread and compare it too a Bespoke suit of fine virgin wool's and materials. Not to mention the personal Taylor customized quality.

Thank you for sharing the photos, they were a pleasure!
You made me chuckle. Thanks for the compliments. The nutty neighbor didn't gripe until after she had paid me for it. And she got a $150-175 bed runner for less than $100, but eh, it's over and done with. I never see that neighbor anymore. She is a complete flake in more ways than one! To me, it was just so rude of those old biddies to comment on something they had not even seen, and then, for her to tell me on top of that. I pretty much just told her they had no idea what they were talking about, and then, them saying I could get cheaper fabric at some private person's house when they had no idea what I paid for the fabric in the first place. Fabric is not cheap and every quilter can tell you that. I don't buy cheaply made fabric, but I do look for good prices on good quality fabric. I have only paid a quilt shop full price for a yard of fabric once, in that last quilt I did when I wanted a particular shade and was having trouble finding it. I then got the exact same fabric at my online source for about 1/3 the price. I knew then the exact shade it was and I loved it and wanted more of it for myself.

Pricing a handmade quilt is so much more than the fabric. It's the thread and batting, it's the design knowledge, my 30 years of experience, my trained color sense, my time in designing, shopping, piecing, then quilting by hand, quality ever bit as good as those coveted Amish quilts made by 10-20 women and priced at over $1000 for most of the bed size ones.

Oh, well, you know, it boils down to one thing with that situation that started this thread- ignorance has a big mouth!
gig.gif

Speckled Hen, there are many folks here and in the non-virtual world who do still appreciate the artistry and mechanical skills which go into your work. Don't worry about the flakes who don't appreciate what you do or think for some reason your pricing should suit them instead of reflect what true quality is worth! Some people are never happy and they pick apart others trying to make themselves feel more important...Those people don't matter and their opinions matter even less in real life. Keep doing what you obviously love to do, because it both makes you happy and it makes the world a more beautiful place for people...
Never forget you have a wonderful gift and many, many folks can still appreciate it! I, for one, am glad you choose to share it with others!

Speckled Hen, there are many folks here and in the non-virtual world who do still appreciate the artistry and mechanical skills which go into your work. Don't worry about the flakes who don't appreciate what you do or think for some reason your pricing should suit them instead of reflect what true quality is worth! Some people are never happy and they pick apart others trying to make themselves feel more important...Those people don't matter and their opinions matter even less in real life. Keep doing what you obviously love to do, because it both makes you happy and it makes the world a more beautiful place for people...
Never forget you have a wonderful gift and many, many folks can still appreciate it! I, for one, am glad you choose to share it with others!

I appreciate that. I guess since the incident that precipitated this thread was years ago now, I ought to start a new one, but my neighbor's attitude is really just indicative of an attitude as a whole. I rarely hand quilt anymore, though I guess I ought to do it occasionally, just to keep the fingers limber. However, sometimes, just stitching binding on by hand makes my fingers tingly unpleasantly and start to go numb, and it does not require the control that the quilting does.

Quite simply, I need to quilt. And my house is too small to store everything I make. I need to sell the stuff! I don't want to give too much away because, frankly, I need the money. And when you give away all your crafting, it means less to others.

Back
Top Bottom