GRRR.

Aschenfire

Songster
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
I have an issue with my 7 week old MGB boys...I thought I would be able to keep at least two roos...but my lemon blue splash baby has been picked on...I put neosporin and blue food color on his neck where he was picked at, but I went out to check them and the obvious little cockerel and the other one which I *think* is a boy...were ganging up on him and pecking him pretty fiercely...GAH. I suppose this means I need to thin them to one roo and the two little pullets. They have lots of room...50 square feet right now, and are only three bantam polish and 5 MGB in the pen...I think it is simply too much budding testosterone in the pen. Now who to keep and who to get rid of... *flails*

The picked on baby is presently perched on my arm talking to me... he is so sweet and I am more tempted to keep him than them. He will throw blue consistently at least :D

Last edited:
I have an issue with my 7 week old MGB boys...I thought I would be able to keep at least two roos...but my lemon blue splash baby has been picked on...I put neosporin and blue food color on his neck where he was picked at, but I went out to check them and the obvious little cockerel and the other one which I *think* is a boy...were ganging up on him and pecking him pretty fiercely...GAH. I suppose this means I need to thin them to one roo and the two little pullets. They have lots of room...50 square feet right now, and are only three bantam polish and 5 MGB in the pen...I think it is simply too much budding testosterone in the pen. Now who to keep and who to get rid of... *flails*

The picked on baby is presently perched on my arm talking to me... he is so sweet and I am more tempted to keep him than them. He will throw blue consistently at least :D
Two things you can do. One is purchase some anti peck spray at a pet store. You may need to re-apply in a few days, but it should halt the prob. Second, if you have a mature cock of any breed, you can put him in with the boys as a policeman. The idea is that if anyone is gonna kick butt, it's the cock. This one works best for fighting. The anti peck spray is best for pecking..........Pop

Thanks! Gonna get some of the anti-peck spray asap. It seems the blue cockerel really has it out for this little splash guy. :/ Hopefully it will not be an ongoing thing...might just be pecking order stuff being worked out, but this is the first time I've had any of mine pick till they are visibly pecked on.

Thanks! Gonna get some of the anti-peck spray asap. It seems the blue cockerel really has it out for this little splash guy. :/ Hopefully it will not be an ongoing thing...might just be pecking order stuff being worked out, but this is the first time I've had any of mine pick till they are visibly pecked on.
Watch for blood. Then you will have to seperate the aggressor. It's not unusual for some breeds to be like that. Once seperated, there's no going back and the mean one will have to be culled unless you are willing to have 2 flocks. Good luck...........Pop

Back
Top Bottom