Grumpy ladies

Your set up looks nice.
Logistically you have 25 chickens at various ages trying to establish their pecking order.
A coop recommendation is 4-5 sq ft per bird inside. So you would need 100 or better yet 125 sq ft inside the coop and a recommended outside run is 10 sq ft per bird for 250sq ft.
You have a 4x8 coop that equals 32sq ft.
Now, its not a requirement but, you can see the difference in space for 25 birds. When you have a low pecking order chicken she will be on the "outside looking in" and spacing for each is snug.
She's probably blocked from entering the coop and isn't allowed in, let alone squeezed onto an 8 foot roost with others of her age and size.
Hopefully, someone else with more insight will pipe in.
When the weather gets ugly or too cold it's likely no one will go outside and more problems will encur.
I have 12 birds. I will be down to 11 because 1 of the ones we hatched is a rooster and we cant have roosters in my area so our friend that lives in the country is going to be taking it. I also have 2 roosts. One is 3 feet and 1 is 8 feet.

Looks like the run is 4x8 and the actual coop(enclosed part) is only 4x4?
Really only room for 4 birds.....so crowding is making them crabby.
So neither run nor coop is big enough for 12 birds, let alone integrating youngers birds.
Did you get them all at the same time or....?

One of the younger birds?
No it is one of the older ones.

No the coop is 4x8 and the run is 6x10. Pictures must be deceiving.
Must be. Pics from other angles?
4x8 and 6x10 still tight for 11 birds.

Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Where in this world are you located?
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600877975574.png

Well either way, it has something to do with the chickens having enough room to preen, fluff and wiggle. And one bird is too many. Perhaps when you rehome the Mr. Cockerel, you will have room for the Pullet.
I have a 5x8x5 homemade Coop and sometimes, 6 pullets are too many and they squabble to roost.
But, no one is left outside.
But, they only are in at night locked up and free range from dawn to whenever they go in.
The rule of comfort is:
A coop is never too big but, it's always too small. Lol
Perhaps rearrange your roost.
She has to be inside. Can u just put her inside after everyone is settled at night and you put on an empty space on the roost?

It also depends if there are nest boxes or other items taking up space I had 24 hens in a 12x10 once and that got tight because the nest boxes took up pat and reduced space

Ok so I'm confused. My 1 roost is 8 feet so that would be 96" my other roost is 3 feet.
Bottom line it’s suspected you don’t have enough room. 18” roost space per bird. 4sqft per bird in coop. 10 in run.
[/QUOTE
Well either way, it has something to do with the chickens having enough room to preen, fluff and wiggle. And one bird is too many. Perhaps when you rehome the Mr. Cockerel, you will have room for the Pullet.
I have a 5x8x5 homemade Coop and sometimes, 6 pullets are too many and they squabble to roost.
But, no one is left outside.
But, they only are in at night locked up and free range from dawn to whenever they go in.
The rule of comfort is:
A coop is never too big but, it's always too small. Lol
Perhaps rearrange your roost.
She has to be inside. Can u just put her inside after everyone is settled at night and you put on an empty space on the roost?
Yes, they free range during the day. Last night I put her on the roost. There was about a foot of free space because there are ledges all along the perimeter of the coop besides the 2 other roosts. So about 4 of them roost on the edges next to the walls. For some reason they dont like roosting right in front of the window.

Back
Top Bottom