Guard dogs with low prey drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a very unique situation here and I'm having a hard time finding an appropriate breed of dog for my land. In short, I own an acre of land on a spring in Florida in an area that's unfortunately developed a very bad meth problem. Moving isn't an option as I'm already heavily invested and have a beautiful homestead here.

Several homes in my area have already been burglarized. One man had his entire AC unit stolen while he was away from home, and another had every piece of copper ripped from the walls of his house. These zombies are very bad, and I would have been burglarized already had I not been home and vigilant.

A guard dog would be a tremendous aid, but I'm not sure if the breed I need exists. It needs to be friendly with children and chickens, aggressive to strangers, and it can't be a high roaming breed like most LGDs. Pyrenees are beautiful but they need far more land than my one acre provides given their high degree of roaming.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Maremma sound perfect but they're almost impossible to find.
Aussies, what else? :yesss:

My border collie is fiercely protective of his people and yard (maybe too much- bit the fedex guy before we got a box to place packages outside the fence) but is the sweetest and kindest dog to friends and family. He loves the chickens and his own cats, but chases other birds and non-family cats.

Not sure if border collies in general are this way, since he’s our first. But I feel much safer with him around.

Sorry you are in that position. Unfortunately meth causes people to do crazy things, and not sure how much a guard dog will help- though I would certainly think it could be a deterrent.
Cool story, well, except for the FedEx guy!
My Aussie is hyper aware of eagles and other airborne predators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom