GUARD DOGS

This is Bunny(7lbs).......she thinks she is a pitbull. (nobody dares tell her)
She guards our chickybabies(here@9wks).
DSC_0236.jpg

Last edited:
Our Catahoula was 11 years old on introduction to the chicks, his first time ever with chickens. I let him sniff them from the day we brought them home. Yesterday I had one of the RIR on my lap and he came right up and stuck his nose up her feathers in the hind end, just checking I guess to make sure it was one of "his" hens:lol:! He pretty much ignores the chicks and they ignore him, but he would run a predator off in a hurry. I have never met a more intelligent dog.

Daisy should go into heat in August, then 2 months gestation. So, they should be ready around Chritmas. I think they will throw some beautiful puppies. Blue's parents are all fawn (tan). Daisy's dad is a lot like her and her mom is a red leopard. I hope we get a good variety.

I think the Healer in Joe is what let's him be a bit better with the chickens. Also, if he was rasied around them, it's not big deal. Any puppy can be good around other animals if they are raised with them.

Mine are much better now, but I think that they would "play" with them too hard if they got into the coup. They are still really young. Older dogs are calmer and more laid back (at least that is my experience with Catahoulas). So, as they get older they will be better. If Blue was fixed, he would probably also be a bit less excited by them (or everything else, for that matter!).

Last edited:
Quote:
Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, American Cocker Spaniels, American Foxhounds, Plott and Treeing Walker Coonhounds, American Water Spaniels, Australian Shepherds, Boston Terriers, and American Hairless Terriers all originated in the U.S. There are several more but I can't think of them at the moment. Many of the breeds that originated in the U.S aren't common.

Back
Top Bottom