Guard Geese?

I would get 4 large geese and two large ganders. Very protective of their entire yard and contents. We also have cement block under our fence attached to it and electric wire on top rail of fence. No problems except a ground squirrel came underground and came up to try to eat chicken food, but our head gander Spruce caught and killed the squirrel in record time and has been watching the hole he came out of until I covered it up. Good job Spruce.

I would get 4 large geese and two large ganders. Very protective of their entire yard and contents. We also have cement block under our fence attached to it and electric wire on top rail of fence. No problems except a ground squirrel came underground and came up to try to eat chicken food, but our head gander Spruce caught and killed the squirrel in record time and has been watching the hole he came out of until I covered it up. Good job Spruce.
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I have 15 geese myself. They free range with the ducks and other poultry, and are locked up at night. The only time we have predator issues is if the geese are penned, then I see hawk problems. I keep them confined if we have company over or expect a delivery.

We have had no losses since raising geese and the big boys took over. I have some roos and toms but everyone still gets locked up at night just in case. Pilgram girls are so sweet.

I've been looking into this and I've come up with this list for a noisy alert and aggressive behavior toward anyone/ anything that doesn't belong:

African
Chinese
Tufted Roman
Pomeranian

Can anyone add to this?

I had 2 white Emdens and they kept 2 pilgrams & 3 goslings safe for 4 months. Because they were so agressive we gave them to someone with a big dam who wanted geese. Since then we have lost a 4/12 gosling to a snake bite. So I'm inclined to say if you want guards get the the big agressive ones.

I'm glad to hear this, I was feeling guilty that my geese free range. They could stay under our house at night if they chose but spend the day there instead and tend to hunker down besides a dam after their evening grazing.

Back
Top Bottom