Guards For Chickens?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lilywater101, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi everyone [​IMG] I was recently thinking about purchasing some guineas to act as "watch dogs" for the chickens especially since I have a real problem with hawks....but I am worried that the guineas will be more trouble than help, I am especially worried that they will attack and hurt the chickens...Can anyone who has experience with keeping chickens and guineas together help me out? I was also thinking about getting peacocks but I dont know if they would be as helpful as the guineas, any help would greatly be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I was just reading on another thread that guineas are good lookouts for hawks, make a lot of noise and warn everyone. So is a good roo. Have no idea about peacocks.

3. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Hello, I have guineas that I have pinioned. They are great with my chickens. As far as watch dogs they do the trick, geese are also good watch dogs. Mine are funny they meet me at the gate and follow me to my resting spot then they line up to be petted. Some geese and guineas could be mean, but I raised mine and they are like my other pets. I live in the middle of hundreds of acres so there is always something wanting to eat my birds.[​IMG]

4. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Personally I can't hack the noise from peacocks, but if you like them I know from experience they can kick a hawk's butt.

My husband lived in Fairfax VA for 10 years, in a neighborhood with several peacocks roaming at large. While walking the dog we came across the scene of conflict. There were huge quantities of peacock feathers strewn around, like someone exploded a peacock-down stuffed pillow. My husband was starting to gloat over the misfortune of the peacock(he hated the racket they make). However I pointed out that I thought the hawk came off the loser. There were 2 substantial clumps of hawk wing and tail primaries, each with skin and the tail with fat attached. I am not sure the hawk would have been able to fly well afterward. The peacock just lost fluff.

I dunno if peacocks will stand up for other birds, but they certainly can defend themselves!

5. kristim23

kristim23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    I don't have guineas, but my farmer neighbor does. Across the road from him lives a man who raises and sells Christmas trees, and the guineas crossed the road, and "gaurded" the trees from the customers!! From what the farmer says, they gaurd his goats and cows, and they make a racket whenever someone pulls in the driveway, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by